HELP!!! Ploughshare Tortoise Eye Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
One of the eyes of my ploughshare tortoise is swollen, and it cannot open it completely. Usually only one eye is open, the other one can open when soaked to sprayed. It does not look too normal. There are often also tears.

What can i do, should i use zoomeds turtle eye drop?

Please Help!!!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 61

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Do you know what is wrong? it sounds like it has an irritant in it. You could try flushing it with a saline solution.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I have a Zoomed Powersun MVB, and the substrate is bamboo leaves onto of eco-earth. Should i change to cypress mulch like the one I'm using for my radiated's?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'd feel inclined to use newspaper for a few days which is completely unlikely to cause problems and see what happens. Also... how high is the MVB, is it possibly too bright or too low?

Radiated

5 Year Member
It is 25cm above the carapace. News paper or normal A4 paper? Or is cypress mulch better?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are trying to remove a possible source of irritation, paper is better than another mulch. All you are trying to do is see whether or not there is improvement without your current substrate.

Newspaper is cheaper than A4 and absorbs water (wee) better, so I'd use that.

If there's no improvement in the next couple of days, I'd go to a vet.

Radiated

5 Year Member
ok, i am going to use A4 paper because newspaper has ink on it.

Radiated

5 Year Member
just changes it to paper, its sleeping, night time in China.

How long until i can switch to cypress mulch?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
See if his eyes settle first. Don't do anything more with substrate until he's healthy or he's seen a vet.

Radiated

5 Year Member
A vet is hard...
There are no qualified vets here in China, well none that i trust with a ploughshare, so i will use some eye drop that i got from a astrochelys species breeder.
Does that sound ok?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ummm that seems pretty bad. I know you've been mentioning this for a whole with h/she's eye. Perhaps vitamin a deficiency. Flush with sterile saline defiantly few times a day and most definitely get a paper substrate until it clears up. Keep him dry but spray him down daily.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
If truly a viral infection exists, some vets ( ask yours) may prescribe *Terramycin* . Typically comes in a gel/cream form and is applied once a day after a good sterile cleanse of the infected eye. I have had great results when using this method.
***As always best to confirm with your professional health care provider/Vet. before using any medicines for your animals.

JD~

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
N2TORTS said:
If truly a viral infection exists, some vets ( ask yours) may prescribe *Terramycin* . Typically comes in a gel/cream form and is applied once a day after a good sterile cleanse of the infected eye. I have had great results when using this method.
***As always best to confirm with your professional health care provider/Vet. before using any medicines for your animals.

JD~
The problem OP has is that he's in China and he says a vet he trusts is hard to find which means he's trying to source over the counter stuff.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ooops ... I missed that ! ..... You can still order it online~;)

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Last month I had a situation where my female russian wouldn't open its left eye, it was very irritated. After trying a few things I took her to a vet who gave me this eye cream that cleared it up in a single day. I tried soaking first, and then the zoo med drops, but after 3 days of no improvement I took her to the vet. The prescription cream worked great, so I would reccomend a vet visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.