Help me understand this Beak

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi there,
Is this just overgrowth on both sides OR is something wring with the middle part also?
I have order online for me clippers and am going to attempt to clip it and then file. Someone raised a concern that there may be more wrong than just the sides of the beak. What do you all think?

Thanks all. It never occurred to me that there was anything off besides the sides getting long as they do every spring. Tell me what you think please thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.50.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.50.09 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 51

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I'm not familiar with Sulcatas in particular, but that is not normal. I tried to find a front view to compare too, best I could find was this:

Sulcata head front view.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
@Yvonne G's assessment on this in your other thread is likely your best answer.

I've not seen anything like this. I'm honestly not sure how much you'd have to trim back to get it to start growing correctly without splitting again.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
@Yvonne G's assessment on this in your other thread is likely your best answer.

I've not seen anything like this. I'm honestly not sure how much you'd have to trim back to get it to start growing correctly without splitting again.
Thanks Sarah. I go to the vet that Tom R uses so maybe he can help me figure it out. The bummer is that it grows out so fast again! Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. Ive always known that Tyler looks "different" even when his beak is freshly trimmed but couldn't place what was causing it!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's over grown . Needs to be trimmed. Look on the red foot page N2torts shows you how to trim a red foots beak . Something bigger scale .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there,
Is this just overgrowth on both sides OR is something wring with the middle part also?
I have order online for me clippers and am going to attempt to clip it and then file. Someone raised a concern that there may be more wrong than just the sides of the beak. What do you all think?

Thanks all. It never occurred to me that there was anything off besides the sides getting long as they do every spring. Tell me what you think please thanks!

Like I told you on your other thread - the previous keeper allowed the beak to grow too long and it started flaring out. As the tortoise bit down on his food the flare caused it to pull apart in the middle, causing it to split. The overgrown flared part was not taken care of in a timely manner and so the split didn't have a chance to start growing out correctly.

In order for the beak to start growing together up at the top, right under the nose, the pressure on the sides, pressure that keeps pulling the split apart, needs to be relieved. At his size and age I really doubt you're going to be able to accomplish this.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Like I told you on your other thread - the previous keeper allowed the beak to grow too long and it started flaring out. As the tortoise bit down on his food the flare caused it to pull apart in the middle, causing it to split. The overgrown flared part was not taken care of in a timely manner and so the split didn't have a chance to start growing out correctly.

In order for the beak to start growing together up at the top, right under the nose, the pressure on the sides, pressure that keeps pulling the split apart, needs to be relieved. At his size and age I really doubt you're going to be able to accomplish this.

Ugh that is awful news. I am grateful that his eating hasn't been impaired. I just wish that we had known sooner. Im fortunate to live near Tom R's vet and I'll go have them trim and then file regularly. He has let me use a file on him several times throughout yesterday and today. Ugh I just feel so bad. I wish I had know when I first had Tyler. I let him live with the flared beak for a couple of months before I was told here that was a huge problem.

Thanks so much for you help Yvonne. Appreciate it very much. Tyler is such a personable and curious guy. I wish I had gotten him a couple of years earlier!
Thank you so much for your helpful feedback!
Karen