Help me! Pyramiding problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
sibi said:
Amber, what someone said in another thread was that there were signs that your baby's shell is beginning to pyramid. That only means that the scutes (or squares) on his shell show a slight rising. In order to prevent the scutes from raising further, u need to see that your baby's enclosure is humid enough. It's not life threatening, but if not checked, it can disfigure your baby's shell and in the worse cases, be an indicator of metabolic bone disease (mbd) which is serious. What Tom said is something that requires you to think about what he states. While everyone's case is different when it comes to matters of personal preferences, by and large, the things that really matter and that can have an affect on your baby are spelled out for you there. No one disputes his knowledge, experience, and commitment to raising healthy, happy tortoises. That's why so many here refer to his threads, and you should too. I totally get that you want answers quickly...most inexperienced owners do, but if u constantly ask questions that are answered for u in his threads, members would think that u don't take seriously the expertise of other members here. Also, it can show that u really don't appreciate the knowledge others have. Do u understand what I'm saying? We all want to help you, and we encourage questions, but so many of your concerns are addressed in care sheets that took a lot of sweat, blood, and tears so that you don't make the same mistakes. Of course, anything that u don't understand is a different story. I hope we have all helped you so far.

You couldn't have stated it better. :)
I myself still try and review a lot of these care sheets from time to time to make sure I'm understanding things correctly. Hasn't failed me yet.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Amber
I know nothing about sulcatas & really don't plan to ever own one unless it a rescue that needs a good home .
The photos of your tort looks fine to me & i see nothing to worry about .
Just keep him on a good diet .Keep him warm/ hydrated & give him plenty of exercise & you will be fine.
Mike D

Amber_123

5 Year Member
81SHOVELHEAD said:
Amber
I know nothing about sulcatas & really don't plan to ever own one unless it a rescue that needs a good home .
The photos of your tort looks fine to me & i see nothing to worry about .
Just keep him on a good diet .Keep him warm/ hydrated & give him plenty of exercise & you will be fine.
Mike D

Okay thank you! And yiu should look into one next time youre buying a tortoise, they're so friendly!:)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I must say Amber, everyone has their own way of doing things. Kinda like having your first baby. Trial and error. Everyone shares their experiences on what has worked for them. The only thing you can do is take it all in and see what works for you. I know ive had to learn alot of things, i must say..my experiences..with my torts...this is me, i have gone by Toms direction and its worked for ME every time...( i just know someone is going to call me a tom worshiper now...dont care!) If it works...go with it...

Amber_123

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I must say Amber, everyone has their own way of doing things. Kinda like having your first baby. Trial and error. Everyone shares their experiences on what has worked for them. The only thing you can do is take it all in and see what works for you. I know ive had to learn alot of things, i must say..my experiences..with my torts...this is me, i have gone by Toms direction and its worked for ME every time...( i just know someone is going to call me a tom worshiper now...dont care!) If it works...go with it...

Okay thanks

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I second that Mainey. I've read a lot of different ways to raise them. I chose to follow Tom's care sheets and advice. A few other people I know got babies at the same time I did from the same guy. They keep theirs differently...mostly just dry with daily soaks. Their's are now much MUCH smaller than mine and show signs of pyramiding...mine do not. I think a lot of Sulcata keepers on her refer you to Tom's threads because it is what they themselves have used and what has worked for them. So when you get a lot of "read Tom's threads" that's because that's how a lot of us care for our babies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
I second that Mainey. I've read a lot of different ways to raise them. I chose to follow Tom's care sheets and advice. A few other people I know got babies at the same time I did from the same guy. They keep theirs differently...mostly just dry with daily soaks. Their's are now much MUCH smaller than mine and show signs of pyramiding...mine do not. I think a lot of Sulcata keepers on her refer you to Tom's threads because it is what they themselves have used and what has worked for them. So when you get a lot of "read Tom's threads" that's because that's how a lot of us care for our babies.
I have read Tom's threads I have been sent to read and some others I chose to read, I have talked to him for a while over pm, I know he raises healthy torts but so do others and I have used or about to start using a lot of toms ideas but I have also used and about to start using a lot of redfootsrule's ideas they both have amazing ideas and are very helpful!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Amber_123 said:
LuckysGirl007 said:
I have read Tom's threads I have been sent to read and some others I chose to read, I have talked to him for a while over pm, I know he raises healthy torts but so do others and I have used or about to start using a lot of toms ideas but I have also used and about to start using a lot of redfootsrule's ideas they both have amazing ideas and are very helpful!
Im not sure i understand..one has experiences with desert type tortoises and the other has experiences with rainforest type tortoises. They are two different types of climates. They require different housing. Im not trying to start anything, im just confused.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Mainey,
I have just as much experience with sulcatas as my red foots. Furthermore, the ability to instruct someone to do whats right for basically any sick tortoise, or the typical care of sulcatas, is a skill most experienced members have, and most are willing to provide.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Amber_123 said:

Good. I think that you have to take in all the info and use what works best for you.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that the suggestions for Tom's threads were not just put out blindly. They were also from the experiences of each of us that have chosen to use his methods.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
Amber_123 said:

Good. I think that you have to take in all the info and use what works best for you.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that the suggestions for Tom's threads were not just put out blindly. They were also from the experiences of each of us that have chosen to use his methods.
Yes I do understand that! Thanks! :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
mainey34 said:
Peter, i directed that question to Amber, but thank you for your reply.

I'm sure you did, but I feel the need to answer any question that is questioning my experience, or regarding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.