HELP ME (new tortoise, no idea!)

Location (City and/or State)
Kearney, Missouri
So I was just dumped with a turtle boy today. I'm setting up his home but I need to know if it matters what kind of woodchip to use. I would have done research beforehand but I had no idea that I would be receiving a living being today and I don't want the boy to suffer.
Right now all I have it tropical cypress bedding wood chips but the turtle I have is greek or Hermanns the papers didn't say which one. I would love to know if it's okay to keep this turt boy in a home with that type of chip. If not I will change it as soon as I can. Right now I want him to have more space and not stay in the small box petsmart gave me mother to carry him in.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome and please post a picture. Go to the main forum and scroll down to species specific going to the https mediterranean-tortoises-genus-testudo and click on either- Greek or Hermann's tto assist you. They each have pinned topics on beginners care and setup. Wish you both the best

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that type bedding is fine. We have a very good care sheet pinned st the top of our hermanns section.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So I was just dumped with a turtle boy today. I'm setting up his home but I need to know if it matters what kind of woodchip to use. I would have done research beforehand but I had no idea that I would be receiving a living being today and I don't want the boy to suffer.
Right now all I have it tropical cypress bedding wood chips but the turtle I have is greek or Hermanns the papers didn't say which one. I would love to know if it's okay to keep this turt boy in a home with that type of chip. If not I will change it as soon as I can. Right now I want him to have more space and not stay in the small box petsmart gave me mother to carry him in.

So I was just dumped with a turtle boy today.

It sounds like you are not happy about this. Don't you want him? A tortoise requires care, and depending on food availability, can get somewhat expensive.

Are you sure you shouldn't be looking into rehoming him?

If I am reading your post wrong, please forgive me. It's that term "dumped" that has me concerned.

Kearney, Missouri
If I am reading your post wrong, please forgive me. It's that term "dumped" that has me concerned.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I sounded displeased with my son. No, I have actually wanted to care for a turtle or tortoise for a while now and I just wasn't expecting someone to come in and hand me this majestic being and most of the things needed. I didn't get a warning beforehand telling me that this boy would be brought into my life. I came here a few minutes after seeing him because I know how pet stores can be with informing other. I would rather get care and health tips for Nigel from other people who have raised reptiles like Nigel than from people who don't know much at all.

daniellenc

Maryland
Post some pics of him and his current setup. Pets stores love giving outdated info so a few tweaks may be necessary.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
If I am reading your post wrong, please forgive me. It's that term "dumped" that has me concerned.

Sorry if I sounded displeased with my son. No, I have actually wanted to care for a turtle or tortoise for a while now and I just wasn't expecting someone to come in and hand me this majestic being and most of the things needed. I didn't get a warning beforehand telling me that this boy would be brought into my life. I came here a few minutes after seeing him because I know how pet stores can be with informing other. I would rather get care and health tips for Nigel from other people who have raised reptiles like Nigel than from people who don't know much at all.[/QUOTE]
That's is so true and very smart of you! You're on the right track.
Here is a good thread when starting out.
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Ask all the questions you have and enjoy your little guy!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello there new owner and Nigel!!! How's it going so far? You came to a good place for help! Can we see some pictures of Nigel and his setup if you can post a few?