HELP! Is this normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
Thanks guys :) Just figuring out a way to move the bulb higher, really appreciate your concerns :)

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Man this sucks. I'm not an experienced tort keeper but this came to mind, try to soak her. Tht may loosen the skin around her head and let the shed come off and it will rehydrate her. But don't take my word for it. Double check with a more experienced person

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
I soak her every morning after her dinner, i thought i maybe soaking her to much. I'm to scared to do anything if she gets worse :( i've stopped the cod liver oil on her eyes now. She even walks by dragging her back legs.. Well not dragging but her front legs are higher when she walks, is this normal for a baby??

lynnedit said:
For lack of any other idea, there is this:

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=83&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

At pet stores, amazon tortoise supply, etc.

I need this!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Soaking won't hurt, as long as the water is warm. Is your tort on newspaper yet? (make sure it is at least a day old so the print has set).

PVC light stand
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-40617.html#axzz2CWA5BIII

Their front legs can seem higher, but if you notice a change in how your tort walks, that could be a concern. You are pretty sure your tort is passing stool and urates; no blockage on that end?

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
Yeh, lots of wee's the past week and a poo. How often is a healthy poo?! Vets tomorrow, hope he can help her :( Yeh i've put newspaper down now it's about a week old.

Also i brought Her from a petshop that had her cooped in a small glass tank with about 15 others. She was smallest one that's why i grabbed her. She was already ill but i hadn't realised till i got home (didn't know much about tortoises at the time) and they said keep using tea bags. If she was really ill then the others in the tank could be in serious harm. Is there any way i can complain about them or make them do health checks on all their animals??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Others have asked the same question. I don't think the answer is very satisfying. You can contact the Humane Society, but I bet reptiles take a low profile. You can talk to the manager, hand them a care sheet, but ultimately the buck is the bottom line.

Poo frequency can vary, but since she hasn't eaten much, we wouldn't expect more than once/week or less.

Good luck at the vet! (Just don't let the vet give her a vitamin A shot :rolleyes: )

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
If he offers it, what other alternative can he offer? I dont wanna sound gullable infront of him and let him charge me all sorts!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Just refuse it. Tell him you would rather your tort get vit A orally, with a healthy diet and supplements. I found a lot of vets (even on the TFO vet list), are not familiar with baby food soaks, for example.

You need a reason for the eye and skin problems, that looks much more significant than just normal peeling (which is flakes of dry skin coming off, not layers of skin).
It really might be a sensitivity to the previous substrate, in which case, he needs time for healing.

So play it by ear. See what the vet says about the skin/eye condition. He/she might agree with the reaction to substrate, or it is possible he will feel there is a bacterial infection and suggest injections of antibiotics. (If so, that is OK, it is on the Vit A shots that cause abcesses, etc.)

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
The vet said shes not sure what it is, but shes kept him in over night and is going to do a blood test. I may have to tube-feed him and they'll give me anti-biotic injections to put in his legs every few days because they're weak too. Gonna pick him up tomorrow. Does that sound okay??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like that the vet is taking this seriously. I think the antibiotic injections are just given into the legs anyway, not just because they are weak, that is just where they put them.
Anyway, the vet is probably worried that there is a bacterial infection.
And they may be tube feeding vitamins, but a blood test can help determine deficiencies, and if there are problems with the kidneys or liver.
It sounds like a good plan to me.
Fingers crossed!

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
They've gave me injections to put in his legs every 3 days, which is pain-killers. Then an anti-bacterial ointment to clean his cuts and an inflammatory cream. They said he's very anaemic and his low count of white blood cells are making him really tired and finding it hard to heal his neck. Well he's zooming around the floor right now and exploring! Cant wait to see him inproving!

And no tube-feeding! They said they'll give me a call in a months time :)

Oh! And some ointment to put in his mouth every 3 days

Picture

Attachments

• image-2921617672.png
    image-2921617672.png
    257.8 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.