Help IDing Mid Eastern plants not to feed

puffy137

Hello Nice People , Just wondering if there is anything that would really hurt my herd of Desert Greeks. Here in the hot desert of the Middle East I sometimes give my torts leaves from trees I don't know the names of, but they still chomp away with no signs of any bad reactions. I don't give them fruits cos I read somewhere that its bad for their tummies. But like there are some plants that are quite deadly for horses , so is their anything I should be steering clear of , perhaps it would be more helpful to know what they seriously CAN"T eat , rather than what they can .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I firmly believe that you should be 100% before feeding anything to your tortoises. You can ask post them here, and you can ask local nurseries about the plant. You can plant melon, zucchini, and cucumber now. The leaves and flowers are good tortoise foods.

puffy137

Thank you for that site Gus , brilliant , I found a couple that I have growing here , & that will be a great help . :):):)
Thanks Abdulla , I'm not a very patient gardener , but thanks anyway:):):)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Feedipedia is a good source as they have accumulated many scarce sources of nutrient content of plants for animal feed. It's mostly in reference to cows, pigs and other livestock, but non-the-less in many cases it is the only collective secondary source that I have found trustworty, they site their source for the data they post. They also break it down to which part of the plant has what nutrition in it.

puffy137

Thank you Will , sounds good , maybe they will also give tips on how to make humans live longer & stay beautiful too;)

puffy137

BTW Abdulla I've just read that alfalfa is good for torts, you know the stuff they feed to the sheep here in the Middle East , its called Jet , here.:)

ahawashin

Where in the Middle East do you live because the tortoise we have in Jordan eats from the farm mostly the turnip leaves ( لفت ) or the cactus ears ( صبر ) not the fruit it self but the green part of the plant and i think my grandfather use to feed him hay like he feeds his horse

puffy137

Hello welcome to you, lovely to see someone from Jordan , I think my babies might have originated from your area, they probably came here to Q8 on the veggie trucks that come from Jordan, or Syria. My herd will not eat grass, they are very spoilt, hehehe!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hello welcome to you, lovely to see someone from Jordan , I think my babies might have originated from your area, they probably came here to Q8 on the veggie trucks that come from Jordan, or Syria. My herd will not eat grass, they are very spoilt, hehehe!
My tortoise eats the yard's grass :) Except now there is this weird mushroom that grows in the yard. I have to remove the mats of grass in the area I'll build the tortoise enclosure! Do they sell the alfalfa as a hay, or can you find them as a seed. I like growing tortoise food :D

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.

ahawashin

My tortoise eats the yard's grass :) Except now there is this weird mushroom that grows in the yard. I have to remove the mats of grass in the area I'll build the tortoise enclosure! Do they sell the alfalfa as a hay, or can you find them as a seed. I like growing tortoise food :D

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Can you buy the seeds from amazon or eBay and have them shipped to you ??

puffy137

Thank you Abdulla for posting my celebrity herd's pics , I'm sure they will be pleased to know they are now famous:D:D

puffy137

I'm sure you can by jet(alfalfa) seeds from the places where they sell farming equipment, we used to grow lots at our farm in Wufra, but now its just fruits & veggies in polytunnels & palm trees.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm sure you can by jet(alfalfa) seeds from the places where they sell farming equipment, we used to grow lots at our farm in Wufra, but now its just fruits & veggies in polytunnels & palm trees.
I'm going to get some seeds when I have the time. But is there a time to plant it? I think it would do well in winter...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Oh, and there is this app on the iPhone/iPad called garden compass, you send photos of the plant and they ID it for you :)