Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Big Pine Key, Florida
Hi there! I'm brand new to the website and wanted to get a feel for how the site works and how to post and whatnot.
I've been scanning through the forums here for a few months in preparation for the baby sulcata tortoise that I brought home about a week ago, and so upon his/her arrival I've made an account.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the forum :)
My little guy is too young to determine the sex, but my boyfriend named him Gage, assuming he was male. If time proves otherwise, the name will change.
As I said earlier I've had him for about a week now, and I'm still tweaking his enclosure to make him more comfortable.
I'm not entirely sure how old he is, but he's around 6 cm from the front of his shell to his tail.

gage.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Florida is a wonderful place for raising tortoises. I suggest you read some of our sulcata and general tortoise threads to get some different ideas on how to care for him. You will find some differing advise, but don't worry you'll soon wade through the varying ideas and come up with a combo of methods that will work for you and Gage. There is no one way that works for everybody or is the only right way and keeping totoises sometimes will seem like a constant tweaking, but the results are well worth it. What are you currently feeding him? So glad you have joined us!! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Pay attention to his eyes. I notice they're closed in the picture. If they stay closed a lot there may be something wrong with the way you are keeping him.

I know that most care sheets say they eat grass, but babies usually don't eat it. Start him off with some nice fresh weeds from the back yard, like clover, fillaree, dandelion...something nice and green and growing. If you don't have weeds, you can use grocery store greens like endive, escarole, raddiccio, etc. and cut up some grass into small pieces and add to the greens.

Go to the top of the sulcata section. We have a thread about raising baby sulcatas in the "important threads" section.

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Big Pine Key, Florida
I've been letting him graze in the yard everyday that I've had him, the photo was taken the day I got him with the grasses that the pet shop sent him home with. (He didn't eat any of those), however he eats grass and clover just fine in the yard.
As for his eyes being closed, I took the photo while he was sleeping, but he hasn't exhibited any other signs of health issues. I'll post a few better photos, also taken the day I got him. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378654288.301330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.