Hello

Ema

Hi my name is Em i live im lancashire an i have two horsefield tortoises both three yrs old called Alfred and Annie ive had Alfred for just under 12months and Annie only one month
And i absolutely love them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Em, and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Ema

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Em welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . The torts will do better in groups of three or more . In pairs they bully each other badly if not now then later ! Have agreat tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Ema

Hello Em welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . The torts will do better in groups of three or more . In pairs they bully each other badly if not now then later ! Have agreat tort day !

Hi
Ok i will bare that in mind so far they seem ok together but i will keep an eye on things thanks

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hi Em, Welcome to TFO. :) Bullying can happen in many ways, But no matter how it comes about its not good for the tort being picked on. :( Are both your torts about the same age? Is one bigger than the other? How long have you had them together? If one tort is smaller than the other and they are about the same age, its more than likly getting picked on. Have you ever noticed if one eats more than the other or if one constantly follows the other around? Maybe one flips over more than the other? Torts DO NOT do well in pairs. Ive NEVER seen any that did. Its always better to have three or more in a group. When theres only two its Constant comoetition for the best basking spot for food and shelter. Torts dont want a friend , they are solitary animals , that usually only come together in the wild at certain times of the year. And sometimes its hard to see the bullying going on. The bullied tort can eventually end up sick or dead from this.:eek: IMO they should be seperated. I wish you and yours nothing but the best. Take Care And we are all here to learn how to be better keepers of our torts. Glad you joined. :)

Last edited:

Ema

Hi Em, Welcome to TFO. Bullying can hapoen in many ways, But no matter how it comes about its not good for the tort being picked on or intimidated. Are both yoyr torts about the same age? Is one bigger than the other? How long have you had them together? If one tort is smaller than the other its more than liklyvgetting picked on. Torts DO NOT do well in pairs. Ive NEVER seen any that did. Its always better to have three or more in a group. When theres only two its Constant comoetition for the best basking spot for food and shelter. Torts dont want a friend , they are solitary animals , that usually only come together in the wild at certain times of the year.
Well if anything the little one is boss but to be honest none of that is true for mine at the moment and like i said i will keep an eye on them

Ema

You seem to be talking like my torts are not happy i have never said that there are any problems they are happy and doing very well together

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Ema im not trying to say they arent happy. Im sorry if i came acrosd that way. Im just saying that bullying is an extremly serious thing. I have two redfoots, ive not had them but a month or two. Both are males and both apparently have always been together. As soon as i got them i was very leary one is bigger than the other by a couple inches when i put food in enclosure one runsbover if the other is eating and sees the big one headed over he immediatly retreats. Ive also found the smalker onevon his backba couple times. Its a very serious thing .Please understand some people here have kept torts a long time. Not me only about 2 yrs. Lol butvif not for this outgoibg griup of people with so much knowledge im positive i wouldnt know what i know today. And who knows if my torts woukd even be alive. TFO is an awesome place to get updated info for raising happy healthy torts. How old are your torts? Please do keep an eye on them. They are precious. And again im sorry if i came across in the wrong manner, Like i said i only wish you the best. You and your tort buddies.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
No Ema I didn't say that we are just saying torts are loners they don't Evan take care of their children .
I've had reptiles all of my life , I love my torts and I have many Russians , greeks , leopards , Egypians , ADT , pancakes ,3toe box , ornate box , Margenals , RES turtles , painted turtles , false map turtles , Gaint river Cooters . And I've had them for 15 years . We want you happy and your torts . Please keep good thoughts !

Ema

I am happy an i have good thoughts and i dont dispute you have a lot of experience but i just felt ive only just come on here an said hello an u jumped straight away telling me im doing wrong and my tortoises are not happy yet ive not asked for any help and they are fine it just upset me

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I am happy an i have good thoughts and i dont dispute you have a lot of experience but i just felt ive only just come on here an said hello an u jumped straight away telling me im doing wrong and my tortoises are not happy yet ive not asked for any help and they are fine it just upset me
People are trying to share their experience and save you and your tortoises a world of hurt. No one meant to upset you. The assumption is that we are all here for the animals. We all love our animals. Sometimes we love them to death and have the graveyard to prove it, and don't want anyone anywhere ever to have to go through that.

The sad fact is that a situation can change without warning, and often by the time we notice a problem it's too late to fix it. It can be ongoing for years while we mistake the situation.

So while no one meant to criticize you personally, or your care of your tortoises, everyone hopes that you will do the best for them, especially as you learn more.