Hello Tort Lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
I have always loved reptiles and have cared for tutles, red eared sliders and most recently my first Sulcata. This forum was a huge help with learnign about his care. Unfortunately the breeder, which is also one of the website sponsors, sent me a sick hatchling with closed eyes. Through the help of a reptile vet at Ohio State University hospital, I have done everything I can to help Hondo. As an Eco writer for Yahoo News, I am using the experience to help other new tort owners and to discourage anyone from purchasing through the same breeder. He was so ill when he was sent and when I called repeatedly with my concerns and details about his behavior, they just brushed off the non-eating and closed eyes as typical hatchiling behavior, it is not. It was very expensive to try and nurse him back to health, but sending him back as they suggested would have been a death sentence. I love the little guy so much and hope my experience will save others from going though the same heartache. I have tons of space and hope to adopt as many Sulcatas as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi TaraDodrill:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Sorry you've had a bad first tortoise experience. Is the baby well now?

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi TaraDodrill:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Sorry you've had a bad first tortoise experience. Is the baby well now?

Hello, Tara is fine. No, unfortunately he passed away. He was having what I would call seizures, for lack of a better description. His head was moving awkwardly and he kept pushing himself into his bacing rock and soaking bowl. I held him in my hand and comforted him as best I could. It was just awful. I really want another hatchling and miss seeing him everyday, but am just fearful of buying another little one from what I thought was a reputable breeder online. I was going to go to a rep show over the weekend so I could see the tort and ask husbandry questions, but just couldn't talk myself into going yet.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thank you. Hondo had the proper enclosure, heat, lighting, humidity, temp. etc. We did our very best to help him. We are in southern Ohio, so humidty in the winter caused constant monitoring.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would try to get one that is 6 months old.. some breeders will have them or put your name in with a rescue...
sorry for the loss and the lack of caring from the breeder..
People here can recommend good ones.. or a private party..
welcome... kepp learning and when you are ready. try again.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Thank you, I love Aldabras! When my Hubs can retire we will become SW Florida residents too. I can write from anywhere and prefer to do it in a warmer climate. We spent part of the winter in Venice now. Will eventually have to figure out how to transport torts back and forth with us. Dogs are easy, they love the long car ride to south!
Tara

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Hi Tara,,so sorry for the loss of your little guy :( I had the same experience 2 years ago when I bought (rescued) a baby 3 toed from a guy,,he knew nothing of turtles and after trying to get back in touch with him,the little guy died.,and it broke my heart. There are many reputable breeders who are fantastic,and thankfully I found one! My little gulf coast boxie is now 3 months old and doing fabulous,I adore him! I got him when he was a teeny hatchling . The breeder who I got him from emails me every now and then to check on the progress,,so don't give up,you will be a wonderful turtle( TORTOISE) owner soon again!

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Beeliz said:
Hi Tara,,so sorry for the loss of your little guy :( I had the same experience 2 years ago when I bought (rescued) a baby 3 toed from a guy,,he knew nothing of turtles and after trying to get back in touch with him,the little guy died.,and it broke my heart. There are many reputable breeders who are fantastic,and thankfully I found one! My little gulf coast boxie is now 3 months old and doing fabulous,I adore him! I got him when he was a teeny hatchling . The breeder who I got him from emails me every now and then to check on the progress,,so don't give up,you will be a wonderful turtle( TORTOISE) owner soon again!

Thank you, that is encouraging. There is a reptile show about an hour from here the first weekend in February and I am seriously considering going. I wish they listed the breeders on All Ohio Reptile show website beforehand so I could discuss them on the forum and see if anyone could recommend a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.