Hello there!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
And a handful of these and the odd fox or panther, no? :D Awesome! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome :tort:
In the first picture, what are the other animals behind the Rhino? Is it a Wildebeest and Zebra?

Tutty

South Africa
Plenty of foxes, but never seen a panther or genet (if that's what i think it is) . They're very rare.
Lots of gerbils and gerboas and desert foxes down south, but not a lot round here except bats, snakes and hedgehogs.
Thats so cool. Every area of the planet has amazing animals:<3: Yup, shes a genet.

Tutty

South Africa
I reckon they're wildebeest, but it's a bit hard to see.
Yup those are wildebeest and there were Cape Buffalo in the vicinity too. I was far more wary of them than the Rhino :eek:

I'm attaching some photo's of recent rescues. Not all my photo's will bring a smile to people's faces. The one has been mauled by a dog, the other seems to have been caught in a fire at some stage and was hit by a vehicle.

I am always in awe of how tortoises manage to recover, without human intervention, from injuries and physical trauma that should have killed them. They are truly amazing animals!

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Tutty

South Africa
Yup those are wildebeest and there were Cape Buffalo in the vicinity too. I was far more wary of them than the Rhino :eek:

I'm attaching some photo's of recent rescues. Not all my photo's will bring a smile to people's faces. The one has been mauled by a dog, the other seems to have been caught in a fire at some stage and was hit by a vehicle.

I am always in awe of how tortoises manage to recover, without human intervention, from injuries and physical trauma that should have killed them. They are truly amazing animals!
You'll see that the MVA tortoise has lost most of the spurs on her front legs. Maybe a dog, or maybe she scraped them off trying to get through a fence to escape the horrific veld fires we've had here the last while).A section of the front of her shell has alo be scraped away.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

They are incredibly resilient and seem to recover from the most appalling injuries, some of the pictures we get on here are ghastly.
I agree, i lived and worked in Thailand and we were more wary of water buffalo than elephants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 199530 View attachment 199532 View attachment 199533 View attachment 199534 View attachment 199535

Yes, I agree their healing powers are magical. I took in a native water turtle that had a healed over scar on her carapace the size of a quarter. It was obvious that it was once an open wound. this means you could actually see inside the turtle, and yet, she survived and grew new shell to cover the wound.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I agree their healing powers are magical. I took in a native water turtle that had a healed over scar on her carapace the size of a quarter. It was obvious that it was once an open wound. this means you could actually see inside the turtle, and yet, she survived and grew new shell to cover the wound.
My Tidgy, too.
Someone cut out a whole scute down to her insides to use as jewellery.
It was touch and go but she healed very well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, i teach local families and kids how to hold, treat and care for tortoises. I'm godfather to about a dozen at the moment.
And down south, I have taught a village where they now make tortoise souvenirs from wood, metal, stone and ceramic that are marketed in the city, instead of selling the tortoises in the area, they now help protect them.:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi all,

I have the following tortoises on permit (legal requirement here in SA because all our torts are listed as protected species):

Padloper (parrot-beaked padloper / homopus a.)
Leopard Tortortoise
Cape Angulate

I volunteer with a wildlife group and do rehab with tortoises that are illegally kept as pets, or that are injured, or are kept in inhumane conditions.

Looking forward to learning from you :)
Hi and welcome.

Tutty

South Africa
Yeah, i teach local families and kids how to hold, treat and care for tortoises. I'm godfather to about a dozen at the moment.
And down south, I have taught a village where they now make tortoise souvenirs from wood, metal, stone and ceramic that are marketed in the city, instead of selling the tortoises in the area, they now help protect them.:)
Wow, that's an amazing achievement!!!! You're a Super Hero in my book. :cool: