Hello :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
I live in ut with my husband. i just recieved 2 leopard tortoises from him in the mail this morning as a early christmas.

Attachments

• torti.jpg
    torti.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 82

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO :) Nice little leo's you have what kind of enclosure do you have them in? can you post some pic's;)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
This might sound stupid, and maybe I just don't get it, but could you help an old man out and tell me what this means? :)P). My nephew does this all the time on facebook. Sometimes it's the whole post. Uses different letters. When I ask, he just smiles at me like I'm an idiot. No one ever questions it. I don't get it.

OK, I get it now that I see it came up a smiley face..........I guess...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lea Crystal:

Welcome to the forum!!

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
well i have 2 leo's and 2 sulcata's but the sulcata's are my brothers. for now they live in a aquarium until i get enough to get something different. i attaached 4 pictures in food is the one with the most of the inclosure, dans is my brothers sulcatas, then torti and torti 2 is the pictures of all four of that babies...

Attachments

• dans.jpg
    dans.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 41
  • in food.jpg
    in food.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 43
  • torti's.jpg
    torti's.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Torti's 2.jpg
    Torti's 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 42

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
lol ya the second one on the right is givin me trouble though and my brother seems to think its stress from the shipping. but its been over 24 hours and all i did was put them in inclosure and took them out to meet the others for like 10 min. but i was told to put them in 1/2 inch of water and the little leo drank them was walkin around but the big one kinda looked as if it was drowning cause it wouldnt come out of his shell then when he did he went kinda limp so i pulled it out and he just went in the shell and wont open his eyes or come out. but if you touch a foot he tucks in. why?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi there, welcome to the forum!!! Always nice to see another Utah member join up; there just aren't enough of us!

May I ask whereabouts in Utah you're located? I'm in Tooele. :D

Have you seen this thread yet? It's a great reference for Sulcatas and Leopards, so it'd be good for both you and your brother to sit down and go over: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
@Floof I live in Pleasant Grove.

@Marty333 Just a regular vet or a specific vet for reptiles?

@finleafeeder I was Holding him up some but i put him down to see if he would come out then he started moving but then once he came full out he went limp. i have never owned torti's before and dont really know anything but the person i bought them from said to just put them in warm water for 20 min but the big one i held up so he wouldnt drown for only like 5

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Only now seeing your post about the health issues...

I'm sorry to hear the one isn't doing so well. Probably the best thing to do for it would be to separate it from the other leo (and sullies, if all four are together?) and give it some serious TLC in as stress-free an environment as possible. Keep its enclosure hot 'n humid, don't let the temps fall below 80F, cover the sides of the enclosure so s/he can't see out, and leave him completely alone other than soaking and misting a few times a day... Reptiles can certainly take more than 24 hours to de-stress; I like to leave any of my new four-legged reptiles alone for a week (other than feeding, cleaning, and, for baby leos, soaking) once they come so they can settle in and get used to their environment before they have to deal with possibly stressful human interaction. I don't even feed or look at new snakes until they've had a week or longer to settle in... But, unlike tortoises, my snakes don't have to eat more than once every week or two!

If the poor little dear doesn't start feeling better within a week, I agree, a vet trip is most definitely in order. You might also want to find out what company they came from and look them up online--unfortunately, this lack of health might not be too uncommon, and finding out what happened to other torts from the company might help. It would also help to email the seller and find out how they kept the babies before shipping them out--if they kept them very dry, like "old" wisdom dictates ("wisdom" that we now know is wrong!), then you would know to start with just keeping him very hydrated to see if that solves the issue.

As for what vet to use, find one that specializes in reptiles. I've found, in researching Utah reptile vets (I only recently moved to the area) that the vast majority of "reptile" vets in the Salt Lake area are total hacks and not to be trusted. So far, the only one I've found that sounds like he's any good is Dr. Doug Folland in Centerville. A little far from you, but, unfortunately, that's the name of the game when you're trying to find a vet that services unusual pets like your tortoises.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
my brother has his sullies in their own enclosure. when i put his in with the other leo he kinda roams around but i try not to pick him up very much he did drink water but they wont the food i had put in there. i noticed in a picture soemwhere on the forum the food they call frooty pebbles which i only put a few cause my brother said it would be more as a treat as well as orange vitamin bite thing but mainly grassland torti pellets that we broke up but they wont eat it still. but he also wont open his eyes. he moves around in the enclosure but not out of it. i work alot so i wont be home to play with them alot anyways even though i want to. my little leo loves me and just hangs when i pick it up lol. what is TLC? but i want to know the sex of them can anyone tell me if i post a picture? :) if i put a dish of water in the enclsure will they drown in it?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would get some Mazuri for them to try I have some of the grassland pellets my leo's will not eat the stuff

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
where do you get Mazuri? Also, the petstore told me to get a 150 watt bulb i was wondering if thats too much heat?

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
TLC=Tender loving care. If you go to a vet go to one that specializes in reptiles. for a water bowl you can use the lid to a tubberware container and barely fill it so they cant drown. They are probably to young to tell but I f you ant to post pics we can try to sex them for you. Don't hold either of them for at least a week so they can get acclimated. Even if one of them acts like it is fine dont hold either. Do you have a mercury vapor bulb? If you dont you need to get one. They are expensive but last a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.