HELLO & I have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
Hi. My name is Jessica and I live in Northern Kentucky, just outside of Cincinnati, OH. I just got my first turtle today. It's a baby box turtle. He has stayed burried most of the day but I've read that is normal. My concern is I think I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up in his habitat. I'm using a small aquarium temporarily until I make or buy a tortoise table. I soaked coconut coir and peet moss last night and sprayed it this morning. I have had his UVB light and heat light on all day. The substrate is very moist but the humidity keeps dipping down to 50. I spray the tank out with water and the humidity goes up to 70-75 but a couple hours later it dips back down. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure, that should help.

Almost forgot. Hello and Welcome:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Humidity is hard to control in an open enclosure. Like Wellington said, cover most of the enclosure or use a closed enclosure with a thermostat and timer. Do a search for "closed chambers," or "closed enclosure." You'll get some ideas from those threads.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
Another question. I don't think he has eaten yet. I know that could be normal. I soaked him for about ten minutes this morning. I put by his food dish and he crawled out and went to the back corner of his tank and can't figure out why he can't get out. He's staring at me now. The back of the tank has a Forrest sticker on it. Maybe I should walk away and he'll eat. I'm a hovering new turtle mom! When should I start to worry about him not eating. I've only had him for twenty-four hours now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good Morning, Jessica, and welcome to the Forum!!

I pour a pitcherfull of water over the substrate and mix it all up with my hand. You may have to do this every morning or every other morning. Your light doesn't need to be too close to the habitat either. They don't need much UVB. Baby box turtles are pretty hard to get started eating because they are so scared of their new environment. I add food to their soaking water...and I soak them every morning. Get some black worms (they used to be called tubifex worms) at the aquarium pet store and add a pinch of worms to the soaking water every morning. While the baby is soaking, chop up some fruits and veggies into very small pieces and place the food on the feeding station in the habitat. Add a couple meal worms or wiggley bugs on top of the food. When the baby is finished soaking, place him right in front of the food then quickly step out of his sight.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
I've had the little guy since Tuesday and I don't think he's eaten yet. The mealworms I bought are dead. I put a couple in his water dish this morning. One wasn't moving. One was only moving a little. I left him alone but he didn't eat them. After his soak I put some greens, carrots, zoo med box turtle food and two meal worms in his bowl and he went and hid. The worms were dead and are still motionless in his food bowl. I foster for a dog rescue and have a loud beagle right now and my pug and my Great Pyrenees mix can be loud. I can't keep the house super quiet. I worry that he's still too scared to eat. I was going to buy some crickets because that's what LLLreptile was feeding him. How many should I put in his habitat? Thanks!

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi welcome to the forum. My Daughter as a redfoot which was scared to eat till i moved his food bowl to the back of the viv and placed plastic plants around it in a half moon, that did the trick as Speckles felt more secure. I would not worry too much though it can take a while for torts to setting in.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help. I'm such a nervous new turtle mom. I'm a pet sitter and about to start my own dog walking company. I'm very confident in my ability to care for dogs and cats but raising a teeny tiny baby turtle is a whole new ball game. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.