Hello from south louisiana

Marty T

My gulf coast box turtle Izzy just came out of hibernation yesterday.
I've cleaned her up and fed her.
She did eat a little.
Am I doing the right things?
Just getting back into land turtles.
Any suggestions?

Marty T

I love all turtles!
I have a female gulf coast box turtle and a baby male red ear.
What turtle or turtles do you have out in the west?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
welcome to TFO Marty. I'm just as eager to get my group back in the swing of things but I wouldn't be as quick to "intervene" after they emerge from hibernation. Their systems need usually a few days up to a few weeks to get back in the swing of being full time "awake". I usually wait until mid-late March (depending on the weather) before I begin to feed any of my box turtles. Now if you are keeping your indoors then that's a totally different subject.

But welcome and we look forward to getting to know both you and your turtles better.

Marty T

welcome to TFO Marty. I'm just as eager to get my group back in the swing of things but I wouldn't be as quick to "intervene" after they emerge from hibernation. Their systems need usually a few days up to a few weeks to get back in the swing of being full time "awake". I usually wait until mid-late March (depending on the weather) before I begin to feed any of my box turtles. Now if you are keeping your indoors then that's a totally different subject.

But welcome and we look forward to getting to know both you and your turtles better.
I keep her outside in a pen.
My wife said she has been out since last week only when it rains.
She is eating a little and moving around so I think in another week she should be back to normal.
I am really looking for an eastern or ornate.
So if you or anyone on here comes across one I might be interested.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Marty, and welcome to the forum!

At one time I had at least one of each of the U.S.'s box turtles. But I had trouble keeping the ornata alive, so I adopted them out. I do have some pretty nice breeding colonies of each of the others tho. In the triunguis I'm a little over in the male department, but with the others I only have one male to numerous females. My box turtle yards need some fine-tuning, as there is too much shade to allow in-the-ground nests to hatch. That's a project for another day.

I'd love to see pictures of your turtle and where it lives.

Marty T

Hi Marty, and welcome to the forum!

At one time I had at least one of each of the U.S.'s box turtles. But I had trouble keeping the ornata alive, so I adopted them out. I do have some pretty nice breeding colonies of each of the others tho. In the triunguis I'm a little over in the male department, but with the others I only have one male to numerous females. My box turtle yards need some fine-tuning, as there is too much shade to allow in-the-ground nests to hatch. That's a project for another day.

I'd love to see pictures of your turtle and where it lives.
I have had turtles my whole life.
They are the greatest!
I need to redo her pen this year.
The only thing is she is a little mean.
She will hiss at me every now and then.
I've had her about 8 months so hopefully she will get use to me.
I will post pics later this week.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Marty: Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. Care to share some pics of your turtles??

Thanks.