Hello fellow turtle owners!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekj040510

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Stephanie and my family and I have started to care for two baby box turtles. I figured this thread would help us out a lot on giving them the proper care.

Thanks, Stephanie[/size][/font]

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 20

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Cool! At that age, they are going to be more carnivorous. Make sure they are getting plenty of live invertebrate prey, like crickets, wax worms, super worms, earthworms, snails, and slugs. Also, sprinkle the invertebrates with a vitamin/mineral supplement powder, to make sure the young turtles are getting no only protein but other nutrients as well. They might take some mushrooms and fruits, too, but they'll probably favor live prey for a while until they get a bit older, at which point they probably get closer to 50% animals, 50% plants in their diet. Enjoy them, they are very cute! :)

ekj040510

5 Year Member
Great!!! Thanks for the input, was very helpful. i just got them yesterday, somebody was just gonna leave them somewhere. i have the one pictured and a smaller one, maybe the size of a half dollar? maybe smaller...So far I have on my list to get is cod liver oil to put on their food, tubifex worms or superworms. They ate a whole strawberry (cut up of course) together. I havent made it to the pet store yet. i was told not to feed them bait shop worms since they may carry bacteria.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, it is generally a good idea to feed vegetables and prey from a clean environment, so that pets don't contract infectious diseases. Tubifex worms are generally a risky prey item, since they necessarily grow in dirty areas (although freeze-dried, packaged Tubifex worms are okay; they don't move, but they still smell like prey, so they are often still accepted as food). I used to feed bait warms to my box turtles without problems, though.

ekj040510

5 Year Member
alright, i will keep all that in mind. its pretty exciting to have these guys, they are pretty entertaining. thanks

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ekj040510 said:
alright, i will keep all that in mind. its pretty exciting to have these guys, they are pretty entertaining. thanks

Yep, and it's really fun to watch them devour their prey, too! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Status