Hello fellow tortoise lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoNoHeSido

5 Year Member
I have recently been given 2 tortoises. Big George and little George. I can't afford to get to the vets to have them looked over till the end of the month so I'm looking for any advice you guys can give me please.

I'm not sure what type of tortoise they are, I believe they are horsefield but I'm not sure. How can I find out? I've looked on the Internet but I just got confused!

The pictures are of big George. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If Little George looks exactly the same as Big George, then you have a couple of Horsefield's tortoises. Big George is a pretty good-looking example of the Horsefield's. Looks to be captive bred.

If it is at all possible, they do much better outside than indoors.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I'm assuming YoNoHeSido is from the British Isles or Europe due to the use of Horsfield(no 'e') rather than Russian, so that would make sense as they are banned on importation here I believe because:
1. To protect species in the wild
2. There are way too many here, so many up for rehoming and not finding homes.

YoNoHeSido

5 Year Member
Hiya. Yes I'm from England. I let them both out on sunny days and spend A LOT of time running around after them. Who knew they were so fast?? LOL I thought they were horsfield but I watched a program in tv with a vet explaining how to hibernate. He had what I would say was a horsfield but he said it was a spur thighed Mediterranean tortoise. It looked EXACTLY like big George. I was confused. Lol.
Anyway thank you for your replies. I will be here a lot as I want the best for my babies. ( I have 2 yellow bellied sliders as well as the George's)

Sammi.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
YoNoHeSido said:
Hiya. Yes I'm from England. I let them both out on sunny days and spend A LOT of time running around after them. Who knew they were so fast?? LOL I thought they were horsfield but I watched a program in tv with a vet explaining how to hibernate. He had what I would say was a horsfield but he said it was a spur thighed Mediterranean tortoise. It looked EXACTLY like big George. I was confused. Lol.
Anyway thank you for your replies. I will be here a lot as I want the best for my babies. ( I have 2 yellow bellied sliders as well as the George's)

Sammi.
We discussed this on another forum. The well known, top UK vet was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.