Hello everyone.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon7

5 Year Member
My tortoise's name is Simon. He's a red foot, he's my first tortoise. So i have lots of questions, Really excited I found this forum. Any help I get is much appreciated. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D

Oh, forgot to ask---is that a pic of Simon next to your user name? If so, adorable--what type of substrate are you using? What type of enclosure do you have set up for Simon....?:D

simon7

5 Year Member
Haha and he has bark type stuff not sure what its called the guy at the pet store suggested it. An for now I have him in a 30 gallon aquarium tank. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Simon, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't think you should be using that substrate for a redfooted tortoise. That looks like aspen bedding. You can't wet it as it will mold, and redfooted tortoises need a more moist environment.

simon7

5 Year Member
Thanks! And oh really? What would u recommend using as a substrate? Ill have to find out what kind I have for him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Pet stores tend to keep all tortoises way to dry. :(.

suggestions:
Coir, made from coconut husk, (comes loose in bags, or as 'bricks' that you add warm water to to re expand), cypress mulch, organic topsoil or fine orchid bark all hold moisture well.
You can mix coir + topsoil, for example. You can sprinkle the cypress mulch on top. Or you can keep things simple with one substrate. Might depend on what is available where you live.

Source for coir:
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...7daa1e408dd90835e0ec5c6be4ec925d&keyword=coir
they also have a nice supplement for torts: TNT w/ or w/o probiotics.

Many also use a plastic container (opaque, hopefully) turned upside down with a door cut in, and lined with sphagnum moss, moistened, as a humid hide. Place this closer to the heat source.

Mix water, or mist regularly, to keep the substrate moist but not sopping.

He is very cute!

simon7

5 Year Member
Thanks so much. Ill be changing that for him this weekend.!

Status
Not open for further replies.