Hello Everyone! Baby Leo, Honu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brehoppus182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo, OH
Hi guys, very excited to make my first post! My name is Bre. I have been reading and gaining helpful tips from this forum since I got my baby, Honu, about 3 weeks ago.
Here is background info: I found him online from a little boy who was no longer able to take care of him. He said that he got him from a reptile show so that's as far back of his youth that I know of. I traveled to Detroit to get him, but I live in Toledo, OH. Right now it's pretty hot. Last couple weeks been in the high 90's. When I first got him he was okay. I mean he was opening his eyes but he never really hides in his shell at all.
I don't think he had any type of lights because the boy gave me everything for him and that wasn't included. He said he was feeding him strictly romaine lettuce :( His aquarium was filled with crushed walnut shells, no watering hole.
The worst part is his shell is a little soft. The main carapace (top) is just a little soft but his belly is really soft. I can't see any veins or anything and it doesn't seem thin but it is flexible. He is a little sluggish but for his previous condition I say he is improving immensely. I have went all out for my little guy. I've changed up his habitat about 5 times, built him a little outdoor area so he can chill on my balcony when i can't sit out in the yard with him for long periods of time and am continuously looking for improvements.
SO this is what I have so far. I changed his aquarium to a nice sized tub for his size with a mixture of wet sphagnum moss, dry sphagnum moss, coconut substrate mixed with a little calcium sand and some hideaways. I have a solar glo 125Wt UVB light for him, and a 60Wt red light for heat at night. His thermometer reads about 100 during the day with the light and 85 at night with the red light. I want to get him either a t-rex or mega ray bulb but we have issues with getting packages to our apartment so I am going to a reptile show in Cleveland in a couple weeks fingers crossed they'll have some. I am going to attach pictures of him and his enclosures. I work 11 hour shifts on weekdays so as soon as I get home, around 2p, I go outside with him and give him a soak with vita sol and set him in the sun to roam and feed him a variety of greens, opuntina fruit, yellow squash, wet grassland tortoise pellets from zoomed, and he eats well most times.
My biggest reasoning for posting this lonnng story, sorry about that, is because I want so desperately to hear some triumph stories of leos with soft shells and recoveries. I have no children so my animals are my babies and I worry and take the best care I can. I know nothing is for certain but any stories, or links to other posts, of goodness will help me feel so much better. Any questions feel free to ask! I tried to include a lot to work with.
Also, any tips or concerns please ask!

Thanks Again,
Bre

Also here is a video I made, lol crazy tortoise girl, maybe :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3F_OtXcPD0&feature=plcp

View attachment 23885View attachment 23886View attachment 23887

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bre:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The most important thing right now is to feed your new little baby leopard foods rich in calcium, then make sure your bulb is putting out UVB so that the calcium will work. Calcium is what makes the shell harden up. If you sprinkle too much calcium on the food, chances are he won't eat, so calcium-rich foods are better. Cactus is one that comes to mind. Getting him out into the sun is good too. They really do better when they can have outside time.

Honu us one lucky little leopard tortoise.

brehoppus182

5 Year Member
Toledo, OH
Thank you, here are the pictures I tried uploading...
2012-06-24_16-59-35_398.jpg

2012-07-08_11-03-42_800.jpg

IMG951410.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D he is very cute. No pyramiding showing. That is a good thing. Some little good stuff must have happened to him before you got him. Good luck, hope all is well. The threads at the bottom of my post are all very good for leopards. Take some time and read them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.