Hello all.... Indian star or red foot??

ScottyFTM

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello all

I am new to tortoises. I am not a beginner to reptiles having had panther chameleons and veileds.

Just a quick question. Do red foot tortoises grow a lot bigger than Indian stars?

Would a 4ft wide vivarium be ok for either of these species?

Are both these species "friendly"?

And lastly, can i keep 2 red foots together? Can i keep 2 Indian stars together?

Thank you very much
Scott

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
You shouldn't keep two of anything. Not even Redfoot together. And especially not in such a tiny enclosure.
Redfoot get to about 16" or so and need, i'd say about a 12' square area for just one. They DO tolerate other tortoises around better than any other species, but only if given enough room. And to do it right, you'd need several hundred square feet of room.
Your viv would be adequate for a younger Redfoot and might be good enough for a year or more. But don't shove 2 in there.
Sorry. I know nothing about Star tortoises or their behavior or needs.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome!
You shouldn't keep two of anything. Not even Redfoot together. And especially not in such a tiny enclosure.
Redfoot get to about 16" or so and need, i'd say about a 12' square area for just one. They DO tolerate other tortoises around better than any other species, but only if given enough room. And to do it right, you'd need several hundred square feet of room.
Your viv would be adequate for a younger Redfoot and might be good enough for a year or more. But don't shove 2 in there.
Sorry. I know nothing about Star tortoises or their behavior or needs.
Agree with the above 100%. 4x4 is great for the first year. I got a pair of RF's (yeah! that was bfr I knew about this forum) and kept them in 40 gal terrarium their first year just taking them out daily for bath supervised sunning outdoors. Their second year I had already enclosed and started planting a big "tortoise garden" for them and they'd spend few hrs there every day. Now they are starting their 3rd year and I only bring them to sleep at night in their tank. We pick them up at sunset, put them in a tub for 1/2 hr, then feed and to the tank they go usually both just straight into their "nests" they each have. This arrangement will not last if they continue to grow like they have been. Shellie weighs almost 4 lbs and her shell is 9" long, and Tucker weighs little over 3 lbs and measures almost 8" (1/10th of an inch less). I think mine grow too fast comparing to most, I probably feed them too much and too often, but they seem so healthy and their fleshy parts are not fat at all. So yes the RFs get to be a fairly good size. Way too big for 4x4. Another thing to consider with a pair is high possibility of having to separate them. Mine have peacefully coexisted fir 2 yrs and just recently started displaying some territorial (or hormonal "coming of age") behaviors. I started feeding them separately . They seem ok in bath and at night. Outside their garden is so big and so densely planted they can go without seeing each other for days if they want to. I'm getting ready to move them outside full time, meaning they get a heated/insulated lock box in their garden and I think, I'll probably have it made with 2 chambers so there never has to be any competition for a better spot. As for the Star species, I also know very little to nothing about them, sorry. But there are great star keepers here who will tell you first hand. I think @Tom keeps stars, at least I think I read his post sometime ago talking about them. There are many others, I just can never think of people's user names to send alerts, sorry

Pearly

5 Year Member
Are both these species "friendly"? To directly answer that: as for the RFs- VERY! I love mine to pieces and so glad they don't try to eat poop anymore bcs we often do "butterfly kisses" (rubbing nose tip on nose tip) when I pick them up for bath or whenever which means several times every day. They don't even blink their eyes when our faces approach:) they also seem to enjoy head rubs, and whole body coconut oil "massage". At least I like to think that "they love it". They stick their massaged parts out stretching it and hold very still until i stop. I'm always amazed with how soft and thin their neck skin is! So delicate!!!

MuffinTort

San jose, ca
I recently did a lot of homework on this myself. I currently have a Red Foot Tortoise and am about to adopt a Greek tortoise. Long story short, tortoises live in isolation their entire lives and do not need companionship. Do NOT mix species. You can test it out with the same species, but it needs to be monitored and the male to female ratio is a major concern. With regards to box sizes, the bigger the better. I'm not sure about Indian Star but Red Foot Tortoises can grow to a max of 10-12 inches, sometimes even 15. In my opinion, a 3' x 6' minimum size box is required for each. The exception is if your turtle has ample room to roam outside during the day and you bring them in or shelter them at night.

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but having more than 1 tortoise means more time and money. You need the extra space for them to roam without feeling too crowded and more money for lamps, humidifiers, box enclosures and everyday care.

Loritort

Are both these species "friendly"? To directly answer that: as for the RFs- VERY! I love mine to pieces and so glad they don't try to eat poop anymore bcs we often do "butterfly kisses" (rubbing nose tip on nose tip) when I pick them up for bath or whenever which means several times every day. They don't even blink their eyes when our faces approach:) they also seem to enjoy head rubs, and whole body coconut oil "massage". At least I like to think that "they love it". They stick their massaged parts out stretching it and hold very still until i stop. I'm always amazed with how soft and thin their neck skin is! So delicate!!!

I use coconut oil on my torties shell. Is it ok to put it on his head and legs too? Sorry, I wasn't sure how well it would be received.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I use coconut oil on my torties shell. Is it ok to put it on his head and legs too? Sorry, I wasn't sure how well it would be received.
I'm not sure if TFO endorses such practice but I've been doing it for the past 2 yrs and both of mine are so used to it now. They used to love the head/neck rub down but would pull their limbs away, and tail?!!... forget about that one. Now the arms are great the legs (hind limbs) the almost as good, we're still working on the tail. Now it is important to me to have the comfortable with me messing with their body body parts in case of ever running into problems with eggs, or prolapse or such. I need to have an easy an unrestricted access to them in order to be able to help them in a future if needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all

I am new to tortoises. I am not a beginner to reptiles having had panther chameleons and veileds.

Just a quick question. Do red foot tortoises grow a lot bigger than Indian stars?

Would a 4ft wide vivarium be ok for either of these species?

Are both these species "friendly"?

And lastly, can i keep 2 red foots together? Can i keep 2 Indian stars together?

Thank you very much
Scott

Hello and welcome Scotty.

Your questions:
  1. Yes. RFs get bigger than stars.
  2. 2x4' would be fine for starting a baby, but much too small for and adult of either. Both of these will need a closed chamber type enclosure to thrive in your climate.
  3. Indian stars tend to be a bit shy and reclusive. RFs tend to be outgoing and unafraid. Both will be shy as babies.
  4. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.
I typed this up for sulcatas, but I raise stars and leopards exactly the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Pearly

5 Year Member
And goofy me!!! Neglected to notice that this was your introductory thread! So sorry about that! And warmest welcome to you from Texas:)