Heat Lamp

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
The biggest problem your having right now is heating up that small tank. That's because of your basking lamp.

Redfoots don't need a basking lamp. I offer mine a basking spot and sometimes they use it but they do not need one. If I were you I would skip the basking lamp until you have a larger set up. Your is just too small for a basking bulb. If you use a good UVB light and a CHE on a thermostat it would make your set up 10 times better. Set your CHE to 80 degrees and leave it be. Your red will be just fine. They prefer day time temps around 84-86 and an adult does just fine with night time lows and upper 60's to mid 70's. However, getting temperature gradients in a small tank is just not going to happen. Like your seeing. That basking light is heating the entire thing up too much. You can have your lights go on and off all day. It is in healthy for your tort and mess up its internal day/night sequencing and cause her to stress out. Torts don't handle stress very well and they usually end up sick.

It's so strange learning all of this now after so long... When I first got her, I was told to keep humidity around 60 percent, with basking and an all spectrum lamp... I wish I knew all of this sooner...

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
It's so strange learning all of this now after so long... When I first got her, I was told to keep humidity around 60 percent, with basking and an all spectrum lamp... I wish I knew all of this sooner...
That's why I love this forum and the people here. They have so much experience.