Heat emitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Just wanted to know what everyone thought of using the ceramic heat emitters. The room where I keep Chomper is one of the coldest rooms in the house and I am having a heck of a time getting my temps right. But this is the only room that I feel comfortable leaving him in as I have 2 very large dogs. I know that if they are used incorrectly that they can burn or kill the tortoise. Just any thoughts on using them would be nice

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Just make sure you find a wattage that works for your enclosure. Also, pay attention to mounting placement. It is best to keep a close eye on temps with any type of heating equipment. Many people use them in this forum, and I would personally recommend adding one or a few to your arsenal.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have used them for several years without problems. They were secured to overhead hangers and never the clamps that come with dome lamps. To control the temps I used a thermostat that is available from most reptile supply stores. Get the one that has two plugs if you are going to use one.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are safer then lights.
How big is the room? can you use a space heater to help take the chill out of the room?

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
i also have the same light system as joe j.
i dont have any problems with them and i purchace them on ebay they are cheeper than the pet stores.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What does your enclosure look like?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dizisdalife said:
I have used them for several years without problems. They were secured to overhead hangers and never the clamps that come with dome lamps. To control the temps I used a thermostat that is available from most reptile supply stores. Get the one that has two plugs if you are going to use one.

Ditto. Well said Joe.

I too, would love to see a pic of the enclosure. Might give us some ideas for suggestions for you. I use CHEs in my cold garage. It stays in the 50s in there most of winter (down to 61 last night, but steadily cooling as winter approaches) and I have no trouble maintaining 80 degree ambient temps in my closed chambers.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I have now put a small portable heater in the room with the tortoise and it's bumped his temps up a little bit. But I don't think it's quite enough. I don't want it running while I'm at work because of fire hazards. I think I'll get the little guy a heat emitter this weekend and see if that helps him out. Thanks so much for your suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.