Hay or straw

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
hi guys, just a quick question, Ive gave my torts a revamp and they now have a wooden tortoise hut for them to sleep in, What can i use for bedding? At the moment im using ripped up newspaper, Can i use straw or hay that i can get from pet shops?:p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello :)
You can use aspen shavings or a mix of soil and sand (70-30 or 60-40), I heard some people here who loves cypress mulch (I will try that soon for my Hermann). I do not like hay to much as a substrate alone, I think is it very dry, very dusty and very hard walk on, I tried to put some in my Hermann's hide but I had to remove it because he is allergic.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I assume you are only using it in the hide. You can also use damp-not wet sphargnum moss or just place a sponge on the top of the hide. and your regular substrate under the hide.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Its just for the hide, in the rest of the enclosure he has soil and sand.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'd use the moss in the hide. Hay will mold when damp and straw is just too coarse to use except for adult torts sulcatta or larger tort.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
bikerchicspain said:
Its just for the hide, in the rest of the enclosure he has soil and sand.

Opps, sorry. I thought you were talking about the hide and the enclosure :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought a small bag of that hay from a pet shop one time and was completely disappointed with it. It was SO HARD and old. Much too stick-like to have any good use for a tortoise. If you wanted to put some hay inside a hiding place, my suggestion would be to go to a feed store and ask if they have orchard grass hay. If they do, ask them if you can pick up a bag of their leavings off the ground. A whole bale would be much too much for you. Orchard grass hay is soft and sweet-smelling, and edible, should the tortoise so desire.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

That's what I do and they let me fill two large bags with loose hay. I don't ask what kind it is, it's several different kinds, I just scoop it up. Bob loves it, he eats it and naps in it...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I use Timothy hay for a pile under Trevor's light. He likes to hide under it and climb on it, and even though it's pretty stick-like it doesn't bother him. I wouldn't use it for a hide though. I think you got some great ideas. :) My little Trevor doesn't like typical hides. He prefers his hay pile and fake plants over his log or a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.