Hatchlings getting shy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
One of my hatchlings is becoming quite shy, I notice that whenever I enter the sunporch it will stop whatever it was doing and may even start heading toward its hide. I'm guessing it may have something to do with feeding time. I've been taking them out of their hide when I bring food out in the morning, as I wanted to be sure that they were both eating. I've also been trying to keep them hydrated by soaking them, but since they're usually hiding, I have to disturb them to do this also! I've also been adding plants and disturbing the area a bit by doing so.

My plan is to stop taking them out of their hide and leave them alone for some time (pretty obvious, huh!?). Perhaps I'll consolidate soaking to when they're out and adventuring...? I'm new to tortoise care and these hatchlings are making me worry a lot. Any assistance would be welcome!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Are they showing signs of dehydration? (Light weight, dry or flaking skin?) Do you have any other way to keep them hydrated? If they can be kept hydrated by humidity control, moist food, etc., and they are not showing signs of dehydration, I might skip the soaks. (I don't use soaks.)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't have a small scale on hand to weight them, but I can say dry and/or flaking skin etc. is not present. They look great! My humidity ranges from 70-90%, so I'm sure they're doing alright in that department. I think I am going to skip the soaks because they'll only sit there for about 20-30 seconds before trying like mad to get out. I'll just spray them when they eat and keep their water dishes clean and fresh.

I'm probably over-worrying, I've just never raised tortoises, let alone hatchlings, before.

Thanks Mark,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.