hardboiled eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
is it ok to feed a hardboiled egg for the protien in a redfoots diet and how often. i am planing on once a month. any help on this matter would be awsome.
and is there a way to get a redfoot to use a cuttlebone? i put one in tori's table on her first day home with me but she hasnt used it at all, why?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yes you can feed them egg. I just gave some to mine the other day and they loved it. Just put the cuttlebone in there and when they need it they will bite on it. :D

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
how often should i feed the egg once or twice a month? the cuttlebone has been in there for the 2 1/2 - 3 weeks that ive had her and i only do the calcium supplement twice a week. the fact that she is not useing the cuttle bone dose that mean she is getting enough calcium?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just give mine protein once in a while. I don't do it on a set schedule, but I know that some of the keepers here do. I think that I've heard them say once a week or is it two? I'm not sure sorry. Yes I think that when they need calcium they will chew on the cuttlebone, so don't worry about that. :)

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
sweet thanks. i have read many things about protien and i am fairly confident that around once a month will do fine. thanks for you help

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would not count on whether or not they chew a cuttlebone as a sign of getting enough calcium- some chew it for fun, others ignore it completely.

I know it is kind of a pain, but the smarter way to track calcium is to have an idea of the calcium and phosporous doses and ratios in your common foods. There are a lot of charts online to help, including a kind of messed up one in the Tortoise Library link below.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I just wanted to add that even though they're safe I think how hard boiled eggs "sit" with a tortoise depends on the tortoise. I gave my Sheldon one once and won't do it again. Sheldon got sick not really sick but mushy bad smelling poop and threw some of it up. Sheldon was fine, ate a bunch of greens the next day. I just learned they aren't for Sheldon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I boil up a dozen eggs about once a month for my forest-dwelling tortoises. When I feed them, I place a whole, un-peeled egg on the feeding station, then I smash it with the heel of my hand. They eat the shells and all.

M

Maggie Cummings

I read that they should be boiled for 30 minutes to make sure none of the pathogens from the chicken pass to the tortoise and make him sick. Pathogens isn't the right word, but I can't think of what it is right now. Anyhow, boil it for 30 minutes to be safe.

When I read that I wondered why we can boil them for 10 minutes for us, but tortoises need a longer time...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
Candy...do you feed the egg shell too?

I don't feed the shell (only to my dogs). :D I only feed organic eggs to the tortoises (or us humans) I don't trust the other ones. Why Terry did you hear that they should get the shell too?

Madkins007 said:
I would not count on whether or not they chew a cuttlebone as a sign of getting enough calcium- some chew it for fun, others ignore it completely.

I know it is kind of a pain, but the smarter way to track calcium is to have an idea of the calcium and phosporous doses and ratios in your common foods. There are a lot of charts online to help, including a kind of messed up one in the Tortoise Library link below.

I don't know if I agree with this statement. I think that they probably do know when calcium is needed. I think just like us the body tells them what is needed and when it's available to them they'll eat it. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
For my boxie babies, I will chop up hard boiled eggs, with the shell too. I've never give it to Pio with the shell though, so I was wondering if you did.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The only thing that I do Terry is take the eggshells and bake them and then put them in the coffee grinder and then it comes out a fine dust. ;)

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Candy said:
terryo said:
Candy...do you feed the egg shell too?

I don't feed the shell (only to my dogs). :D I only feed organic eggs to the tortoises (or us humans) I don't trust the other ones. Why Terry did you hear that they should get the shell too?

Madkins007 said:

I don't know if I agree with this statement. I think that they probably do know when calcium is needed. I think just like us the body tells them what is needed and when it's available to them they'll eat it. :)

the shell would offer them anothe form of calcium. I know I would even give them to my chickens to make sure the received enough calcium for laying. I also give the shell and all to my indoor parrots.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
My redfoots don't touch the cuttlebone but my florida box turtles love it.They nibble on it all the time.I have never tried the egg shells though.

Status
Not open for further replies.