Hand fed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Who ever said Pyxis aren't personable? Look at one of my favorite adult males!!!! He is a hand fed king!!

photo1-18.jpg

photo2-17.jpg

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Beautiful tortoise Tim and he is lucky to have such a great keeper. Spoiled rotten just like the rest of them. :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Awesome! Haven't gotten to that point with mine yet. Although, I don't try to, since I never want to disturb any moments when these guys are actually awake and grazing.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Melly-n-shorty said:
that tiny widdle tortoise is a adult male? what a neat species!

Yes, that is a full grown adult male. He is probably 4.5 inches. He is a Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides!! He is likely the father of many of the hatchlings I post here.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
they are perfect for apartment dwellers.... or at least better then a sulcata or a leopard. and such pretty shells. i bet the eggs are so tiny! OMG I bet the babies are so tiny!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The eggs are actually pretty large compared to the small size of the tortoises themselves. Females only lay one egg, and the posterior portion of their shells actually soften to allow for passing of the egg. It's so amazing....

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Anthony P said:
The eggs are actually pretty large compared to the small size of the tortoises themselves. Females only lay one egg, and the posterior portion of their shells actually soften to allow for passing of the egg. It's so amazing....

oh how cool! to see something like that! just one little baby? bet these little guys are worth a lot then.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Adorable! dont you just love that? I have 2 eastern boxies that do the same thing! Love it!! :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Melly-n-shorty said:
oh how cool! to see something like that! just one little baby? bet these little guys are worth a lot then.

They certainly are not prolific like a Sulcata! Most of my females lay multiple single egg clutches each season. They are very precious and very uncommon, both in captivity and the wild.

This male is amazing!!! He has so much personality. We adore him!!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Obviously this is photoshop'd. Everyone knows that pyxis are shy and boring. :p

Great pictures! He is a beautiful tortoise. I think I would really like to keep pyxis one day. I will definitely be contacting you when I get to that point.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Tim/Robin said:
Melly-n-shorty said:

They certainly are not prolific like a Sulcata! Most of my females lay multiple single egg clutches each season. They are very precious and very uncommon, both in captivity and the wild.

This male is amazing!!! He has so much personality. We adore him!!

thank you so much sharing with us and for answering all my questions. they really are special little tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.