Guts coming out of the body when going to the bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbarricarte

5 Year Member
I have a question about my tortoise. It seems like it has a serious problem going to the bathroom, today I saw it making a lot of effort and pushing out hard until something seemed to be coming out, I thought that may be was a parasite but I think it was the guts, they got out and then back in, this is really bad, what could have caused that? I think the diet is wrong, we have been given it pellets prepared by a company called Topzilla, but that is the only thing it wants to eat

when I stop giving it the pellets it goes crazy and does not stop walking, looking for food

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum. #1 what kind of tortoise do you have and how old is it? How long have you had it? Have you ever fed it lettuces? Maybe if we know this we could help you find out what is going on. :)

mbarricarte

5 Year Member
I have a mediterranean herman I believe, and its about 3 years old. I had it since it was 7 months old. It did used to eat tomatoes more and sometimes I give it some weeds and it east them.

I think it is a male, and I read that this might be the first erection? It was pretty scary, but then it went on and started walking like nothing happened. It was also shaking a little but no noises

auhckw

5 Year Member
Are you sure it is guts and not your male tortoise showing you its p*nis?

mbarricarte

5 Year Member
If it is the male showing its stuff, then it will make me feel a lot better. I hope so, what would be the way to know that for sure?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It sounds like you were flashed, in all honesty if it's guts were coming out it would most likely not be aluve. Welcome to the forum,

auhckw

5 Year Member
You should expect something like this
tortoise20phallus202.jpg

*photos not mine

When I first got flashed, I got shocked also. It looks like flower. Now my tortoise will flash me every time it is soaking.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, sounds like a flasher. Now, that is one well endowed tortoise, auhckw! Anyway, feed the tortoise a varied diet. If this part of the tortoise falls out and stays out for more than a few minutes, you may have a problem. But otherwise, this is a normal part of tortoises becoming sexually mature.

T.G.

samstar

5 Year Member
My male star flashed for the first time at me last week for a few seconds. He is only 3 inches in length and already showing me his manhood!

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Dozer has only flashed me once and it was just a litte "peak". He is very gentlemanly...Tank on the other hand. I can't take him anywhere outside of his habitat without him being all out there! It's so embarrassing :rolleyes:

Saranna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mbarricarte:

Welcome to the forum!!

You say you see this happening when the tortoise is going to the bathroom. Do you actually see poop at the same time? Or do you just assume he's trying to poop? If he's straining to poop, then I would say his diet is too dry. Can you offer him some cactus or slightly cooked squash to help lubricate him inside a bit? I'm pretty sure you're seeing his penis, and not his guts, but even if it IS the penis, it shouldn't be coming out when he strains to poop.

fgately

5 Year Member
Uh, wow. Just learned something I didn't know. Considering the size of the tort "Johnson" relative to the overall size of the animal, I am feeling inadequate right now.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
WOW!!! What a way to start off my Thursday with Tort P*nis. I probably wont eat lunch today. LOL! But, Yvonne is right.....it should not pop out when he is straining to poop. If he is having that hard of a time pooping he could be impacted with all the dry food. You need to freshen up his diet with more variety of whole leafy greens (try a bag of spring mix salad), cactus, squash, ect ect.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's almost the lenght of his entire body, if only every animal was endowed the same.

mbarricarte

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the responses. My tortoise Stuff looked like the one in the pic but it was gray. I assume it was just that since I have seen it going to the bathroom with no problem. I have tried to convince it to eat something else other than the pellets, but guess, I have a pretty stubborn creature!

Status
Not open for further replies.