Growth

AdamStage

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hudson, Michigan
I just recently purchased my Leopard (babcocki) from a breeder and I was told that he was 6 months old. I do not know his weight yet (scale later today) but he is 2 1/4". Everything grows at its own pace but I was wondering if 6 month olds are typically larger. Thanks ImageUploadedByTortForum1377865916.393851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is an "average" growth rate for the ones started dry. And there is an "average" growth rate for the ones start with humidity and hydration.

Do you know which way your baby was started?

And the weight, in grams, would make it easier to make a determination here, so let us know that once you get your scale later today.

On the bright side, he looks pretty good and is not pyramiding like so many baby leap parts already are. That means that he was either started right, or he has just not grown much.

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
He weighs 42 grams. I emailed the guy but he hasn't returned my email so I don't know if he was raised in dry or humid conditions. I set up a new tub. I have a couple pics. I have plexiglass over the top with a 18" hood w/10.0 Repti sun bulb and it is set the ought the plexiglass tight enough where there are no seems. So it gives direct light. I also cut a small hole for the heat lamp. Keeps the humidity up 80-82 deg on the cool side and 92-93 deg on the warm. Basking is about 100 deg. Humidity is 70% how does that seem? ImageUploadedByTortForum1377915286.280970.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377915302.830235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Did I understand you correctly that the UV light sits on the outside of the plexi?
If so, then be aware that the UV isn't penetrating it. It will work great for lighting but make sure your tort gets some regular sunshine to meet the UV needs.

Also, the hay you have on half the enclosure will mold with high humidity and can cause health issues. Best to ditch the hay for now and try using it again when the tort is larger and not housed with the humidity.

Sent from my TFOapp

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
No I cut a hole in the plexiglass so the good lamp can slide down in it about an inch and then I sealed it in place. There is nothing in between the bulb and the Little guy. And thanks for the advice on the hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Conditions sound good. I too vote for removing the hay, and also the red bulb. Colored bulbs make things look funny to them. I much prefer regular daylight flood bulbs.

What are you doing for night heat? It must stay 80+ with the humidity or you risk a respiratory infection. I like to use a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to 80. Keeps the ambient temp where it needs to be day and night.

He is a bit small for his age, which suggests the dry routine. I would do daily soaks with this guy at least until he starts putting on some size. When they are raised dry, it kills off some of their kidneys and liver. No way to tell how much damage has or hasn't been done. I find the frequent soaks help to keep flushing the limited capacity kidneys and keep them going until new kidney cells can finally grow.

Does he get outside time?

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
Yes he gets as much outside time as the weather allows. The hay is already gone and I will replace the red bulb and try a ceramic. The night time temps 82-85 deg. I have been soaking everyday after it was suggested the other day. I have only had him a week and a day. He has been eating like a hog now that I have him in humid conditions and temperatures raised! I am so glad I found this site. You and others have been a huge help. Thank you

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
My sulcata (born January 2013) was 4" and 230 gm when I got him in early July (6 months of age). He spent summer outside in a secure enclosure with lots of grass, weeds and yummies, a couple of hides and a shallow 'pool' (a broiler pan…perfect depth).

Once weather started getting cooler I would bring him in at night. Now he is in an enclosed tortoise table to maintain temperature and humidity, with basking area, cool area (where I keep his food), a terra-cotta water dish/soaking bowl, and a hide. he eats my deliciously virgin back yard greens, vegetable clippings, cuttle bone, weekly calcium dust, and occasional Mazuri just because. He gets outside as often as possible and enjoys walking around the local park.

I next recorded measurements the first week in October (now 9 months of age) and he is 5" (shell length only) and 332 grams. while I do not know how other are keeping track, I will start keeping records monthly for documentation. I am also tracing his shell quarterly on the outside of his enclosure with the date and measurements (length/weight) for a visual reminder…a lot like the marks on the inside of my pantry where my children recorded their growth ;)

this is just for comparison's sake, friends.

Attachments

• sully 9 months.jpg
    sully 9 months.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 30