Growth spurt question....

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
My 8 month old has been going through an increase in weight and size over the past 5 weeks. 284 grams to 504 grams as of today. At the same time I have noticed an increase in urates. All still smooth and creamy.; to just a creamy cloud with urine dischage. I have reduced any high protein food stuffs ; like dandelions and clover; and reduced the use of Zoo med pellets. Luckily he has a healthy appetite for grass and hey. But are still getting urates about every three days; during soaks. My question is that is there any evidence of increased urates during growth spurts? IMG_3569 (2).JPGThis is that bug eyed look you get when it realizes the world around him is all food

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never noticed and increase in urates during growth spurts.

Personally, I'd rather soak more often and for longer, rather than reduce protein any further.

eric joranson

I've never noticed and increase in urates during growth spurts.

Personally, I'd rather soak more often and for longer, rather than reduce protein any further.
at 2 soaks daily now; and for about an hour each. Drinks during soaks. Humidity levels have not changed (80%). He still gets some protein intake; just not unlimited time in cover patches; or dandelions; which he would eat no stop if he was permitted to. Getting plenty of exercise. Passes stools with no problems; and other than urate increase; it seems to be in good health. You think i still need to add another soak session?

eric joranson

Nope. You're good.

I'm surprised you are seeing urates with that routine.
me too....had this problem when was about 2-3 months old; and increased to a second soaking seemed to take care of it...only differences now is that he seems to actually be hunting pill bugs; both in inside enclosure and outside. And did catch him feeding on a small song bird that has a fatal encounter with a window. This and the love of clover and dandelions have all occurred during this 5 week growth spurt.