Growing my own??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
I have one if those Aerogardens and I would like to start growing some things that Kali can eat instead of getting everything from the store. Can anyone suggest some herbs, fruits/veggies or flowers that I should try to grow? I also wanted to know what types of cacti that red foots can and will eat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Any of the squash types will do. The tortoises love the leaves and flowers. Also turnips (for the leaves). They sell a seed mixture called "Spring Mix." They will eat pansies and violas too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of the herbs are okay for them to eat, but often they prefer not to eat them, so you might want to limit the ones you try of those at first. You could just go to the rack of seed packages and think of what they normally would eat and go from there. Greens you have the mustard, turnips, collards, the mixed salad lettuces, even things you might feed normally more limited amounts of like chard and carrots (more for the greens tops). The chard by the way, can come in this really pretty rainbow mix of colored stems that is very pretty to grow. Like was said the squashes, including all the melons, cucumbers and pumpkin. The bush types are best in a limited space area.

Flowers so many choices...lol. Petunias, pansies, nasturiums, rose moss, and so on.

I would just suggest taking the list of what plants to feed and see which of your favorites are on it.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was going to start a thread like this also - you guys helped me also!
I have a green house going in the porch and already after a week I have quite the green sprout pastures going.

Sorry to hijack thread - but I was recommended "Wild Bird Seed" for planting for tortoises by another tortoise keeper. Soak over night in water and plant in soil. I have done this and looks almost like broad grass right now and about 3 inches tall now. My question is, has anyone ever done this for their tortoises? I can't get the seeds from CPS up here in Canada so looking for as much variety as possible.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
SnakeyeZ said:
I was going to start a thread like this also - you guys helped me also!
I have a green house going in the porch and already after a week I have quite the green sprout pastures going.

Sorry to hijack thread - but I was recommended "Wild Bird Seed" for planting for tortoises by another tortoise keeper. Soak over night in water and plant in soil. I have done this and looks almost like broad grass right now and about 3 inches tall now. My question is, has anyone ever done this for their tortoises? I can't get the seeds from CPS up here in Canada so looking for as much variety as possible.

I've planted bird seed for my torts, and they loved it. The broad grass leaves are baby millet and milo plants, and I know milo is used as forage for livestock. My mix included sunflower seeds, and of course the torts loved those. I let it all get 3-4 inches high and then turn 'em loose on it.

E

Emmihealthhub

I am hell in love with this forum.......So much information for my new patsy.... :p
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.