Growing indoors/in table

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi! I would like some tips on growing inside my tortoise table. I use cypress mulch right now for my substrate..would I be able to plant straight in the mulch or do I need some type of plain soil? Just looking for ideas/tips as I'm running out of a room to grow outside of the tortoise table.

Also...any plants that grow well outside in weather that's about 40-70 degrees that he can eat?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I put my plants in my enclosures in containers of topsoil, that way if they eat them down I can take them out and put a new one in giving the old one time to re-grow.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I put my plants in my enclosures in containers of topsoil, that way if they eat them down I can take them out and put a new one in giving the old one time to re-grow.

Do they grow well in plain topsoil? I'm a little nervous if it will work well!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get some trays and make a hole in your substrate so the tray will sit flush with the substrate. Do your best to find potting soil or garden soil with no additives like perlite. If you start several trays you can swap them out as needed so your tortoise will always have some graze available.

What species are you feeding? I like this one for most any species: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

For grass eating species I add lots of this the the mix:
http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Its getting to be the wrong time of year to start sprouting plants outside. All of my outdoor plots are slowing way down now that summer has come to an end. You might have better luck indoors with a rack system and some florescent lights.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I've had a very hard time finding potting soil with no additives..they almost all have some type of fertilizer in it. I'm feeding my Russian, right now I just have some thyme and aloe inside. I'm waiting for new growth for my aloe currently in order to feed.

I'm thinking of setting up a rack system in the basement to get started then, since I know I am very late. My outdoor plants are almost completely dead now, lol!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I've had a very hard time finding potting soil with no additives..they almost all have some type of fertilizer in it. I'm feeding my Russian, right now I just have some thyme and aloe inside. I'm waiting for new growth for my aloe currently in order to feed.

I'm thinking of setting up a rack system in the basement to get started then, since I know I am very late. My outdoor plants are almost completely dead now, lol!

I bought my topsoil (no additives) at a green house. It works pretty well for me.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Get some trays and make a hole in your substrate so the tray will sit flush with the substrate. Do your best to find potting soil or garden soil with no additives like perlite. If you start several trays you can swap them out as needed so your tortoise will always have some graze available.

What species are you feeding? I like this one for most any species: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

For grass eating species I add lots of this the the mix:
http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Its getting to be the wrong time of year to start sprouting plants outside. All of my outdoor plots are slowing way down now that summer has come to an end. You might have better luck indoors with a rack system and some florescent lights.

I ended up ordering some of the Testudo Mix for growing indoors! How long does it usually take to get to you?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Do you grow under lights?

You'll have to grow under lights for indoor growing unless you have a south facing window. You'll most likely need to keep the lights 1-3 inches from the tops of your plants to keep the plants from stretching if using fluorescent lighting.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Probably what I'll be using. Any type of fluorescent light will work? Or do you have a preferred brand/kind etc?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Those specifically called "grow lights" are likely more expensive. I'd use any ol' type.. tubes or compacts. Make sure you get the highest amount of lumens and make sure the bulb is listed at 6500K (bluish light is more useful for the vegetative state of plants). The more light the better.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Those specifically called "grow lights" are likely more expensive. I'd use any ol' type.. tubes or compacts. Make sure you get the highest amount of lumens and make sure the bulb is listed at 6500K (bluish light is more useful for the vegetative state of plants). The more light the better.

Thank you very much! I garden outside and now that winter is basically here in WI...I'm missing it A LOT! lol.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I think I'm going to make a mini greenhouse out of an old fish tank! :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Usually 2-3 days, but you are farther away than me. Tyler is quick about it. Don't worry.

I'm very excited. Can't wait, glad he's quick. ;)

Thanks for everyone's help and can't wait to post results/updates! :)