Greek tortoise weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
My male Greek tortoise is 6 years old and is Turning 7 in November he weighs 560grams today and is he under weight or is his weight okay ??
Thanks
Micaela

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
According to The Jackson Ratio his weight is on the low side.

According to Hailey the weight is also very low.

Have you measured him accurately? (millimetres rather than centimetres)
Have you weighed him accurately?

What does he eat? How much does he eat? And is he otherwise healthy?

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
It is 160 mm
He eats Romanian lettuce and he goes outside when it's sunny and eats weeds , flowers , and grasses
What can I do to make him gain weight

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The first thing I would do is take him to a reptile vet and get him checked over. Take a fresh sample of poo so he can be tested for worms.

If he's only eating Romaine indoors that isn't enough for him. He needs much more variety.

To start, I would suggest supplementing with a pelleted food... if you are in the UK Komodo Fruit and Flower is good... you can buy it online and in many pet shops. If you are anywhere else, try Mazuri... not available in the UK!

Your tort's diet needs to include a range of greens. No fruit and no root veg like carrot... your tort cannot digest the sugars and they will make him ill. Standard round lettuce and iceberg lettuce, along with cucumber have a high water content and limited amount of fibre and nutrients and should be avoided.

From the supermarket: Rocket, Radish Leaves, Bags of mixed leaf salad (the kind with rocket and lollo rosso in - not the crispy ones with red cabbage and iceberg), kale, Spring greens, pak choi, "living lettuce" trays

From outside: Plantain, bindweed, dandelions and sow thistles are common at this time of year.... Radishes are very quick and easy to grow in trays or in the garden and the greens make great food. Joe loves them.

Go to The Tortoise Table Plant Database and look up everything you can buy in your regular food store... it will tell you if it can be fed. You can look up the weeds here too so that you know what they look like. Also download this Plant booklet which has handy pictures to show you what you're looking for!

It is a lot of effort, but there are few tortoise keepers who don't go out weed picking. It can be a little embarrassing going out to buy milk and coming back with a pocketful of dandelions... but most of us have done it!

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
The first thing I would do is take him to a reptile vet and get him checked over. Take a fresh sample of poo so he can be tested for worms.

If he's only eating Romaine indoors that isn't enough for him. He needs much more variety.

To start, I would suggest supplementing with a pelleted food... if you are in the UK Komodo Fruit and Flower is good... you can buy it online and in many pet shops. If you are anywhere else, try Mazuri... not available in the UK!

Your tort's diet needs to include a range of greens. No fruit and no root veg like carrot... your tort cannot digest the sugars and they will make him ill. Standard round lettuce and iceberg lettuce, along with cucumber have a high water content and limited amount of fibre and nutrients and should be avoided.

From the supermarket: Rocket, Radish Leaves, Bags of mixed leaf salad (the kind with rocket and lollo rosso in - not the crispy ones with red cabbage and iceberg), kale, Spring greens, pak choi, "living lettuce" trays

From outside: Plantain, bindweed, dandelions and sow thistles are common at this time of year.... Radishes are very quick and easy to grow in trays or in the garden and the greens make great food. Joe loves them.

Go to The Tortoise Table Plant Database and look up everything you can buy in your regular food store... it will tell you if it can be fed. You can look up the weeds here too so that you know what they look like. Also download this Plant booklet which has handy pictures to show you what you're looking for!

It is a lot of effort, but there are few tortoise keepers who don't go out weed picking. It can be a little embarrassing going out to buy milk and coming back with a pocketful of dandelions... but most of us have done it!

Thank you so so much tomorrow in going to get him most of those things on the submarket list + I am going to order a seed mix from that web sit you gave me
And going to get an appointment to the vet as soon as I find one that does reptiles
Also I will be using tetra tortoise pellet food It looks like a good pellets
what do u think ??

image-3717026785.png

image-396445272.png

image-4273257536.png

image-2936649893.png

Thanks again for your advise

Attachments

• image-887992961.png
    image-887992961.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image-1055818789.png