Great news,Tortoise in the classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

akablair2001

5 Year Member
3 months ago I got my Russian Tortoise (Tank) from a lovely person who took care of him very well for 8 years, but no longer had the room for him. Tank grew on me from the beginning, I was amazed at his personality. I was hesitant to bring him to school in a 3rd grade classroom, but I needed a way to motivate my students to read, especially the struggling readers. My principle agreed to letting me bring him in for a 2week trial run. He not only made the 2 weeks he gets to comeback every year. Tank amazed me and the students. My students knew they were not allowed to touch, feed, or put anything into his pen without my knowledge. If any of those things were done he would not comeback to the class.
During reading time a student could sit in a tall chair and read to Tank. Tank would come out from where ever he was hiding and listen to the students read. He would sit there stretch out his head and listen. The magic Tank brought to the classroom was incredible. The best thing Tank did was bring a painfully child out of her cocoon. This child could barely speak in front of me let alone a classroom. During a play (Pinocchio) that we put on, all children had to take part. This shy child became so nervous she started to cry until we helped her adjust her part, she was the whale. Instead of holding a whale prop we had tank play the part of the whale and she helped Tank with his part. Tank gave her so much confidence she asked for a speaking part the next time we performed the play.
Thank you forum for the information that you provide! I would not have known how special a tortoise could be as a pet and family member.
Ken:tort:

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Too cuuuute! That just made my day. Awesome story!

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
That is great! Feylin, who is occasional member here, is a science teacher who talks about bringing her longtime tort, Lois, in the classroom. Can't wait to get my own, but I hardly expect my employer (stodgy corp types) to let me bring in a tortoise, though it would be awesome.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe's been to various schools over the years, usually for Science lessons. It really helps the children with vertebrates and invertebrates, mammals and reptiles, warm and cold blooded, etc

Your story is very heart warming :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Great story, made my day reading it. Tortoises can often bring shy kids out, because they are quiet and don't move as fast as dogs or cats (not knocking dogs or cats BTW)

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I've taken 2 of my torts to my daughters classroom! Everyone loved them . Next year the teacher will be buying a Hermanns for her class.

Quiche

5 Year Member
I'm new on the forum here and just read this thread. It gave me chills - how wonderful!! I'm also a teacher (high school French), so it hit home to me on many levels. It sounds like you have a very lucky tortoise AND very lucky students!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.