Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
*for starters: a russian tortoise named rocky, and we live in cali*

Hey everyone :)
Recently since the weather has been nice i have been letting rocky graze and they bringing him in after 3 hours or so, should i feed him the same amount of greens now that i do this? Whenever he is outside mainly all he does is graze for the amount of time.. So im not sure if i feed him is normal everyday food if it will be too much. thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would let him graze all he wants and then when he comes in I would offer him the same amount as normal...you may have a tortoise that will go right after your offerings and chow it all down...or you may have a tort that will now eat less of it...so basically I would offer regular amount and if he eats it then great and if not adjust accordingly....also according to his growth the food consumptions will also change...another thng that I would take into consideration is if you plan to support brumation....if so then I would absolutely make food available at all times especially during june july august and the first week or two at most of September...this will allow an extra boost of goodies to use as a reserve.....if you plan to not support brumation then it is not as much of an issue to provide a back up reserve....:D

Keep in mind if your tortoise grazes that action not only provided food intake but also exercise and mental stimulation along with helps them to develop their jaw/head/neck muscles and keeping their beak also snugged up and their beak groomed....so lots of benefits....:D

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
ascott said:
I would let him graze all he wants and then when he comes in I would offer him the same amount as normal...you may have a tortoise that will go right after your offerings and chow it all down...or you may have a tort that will now eat less of it...so basically I would offer regular amount and if he eats it then great and if not adjust accordingly....also according to his growth the food consumptions will also change...another thng that I would take into consideration is if you plan to support brumation....if so then I would absolutely make food available at all times especially during june july august and the first week or two at most of September...this will allow an extra boost of goodies to use as a reserve.....if you plan to not support brumation then it is not as much of an issue to provide a back up reserve....:D

Keep in mind if your tortoise grazes that action not only provided food intake but also exercise and mental stimulation along with helps them to develop their jaw/head/neck muscles and keeping their beak also snugged up and their beak groomed....so lots of benefits....:D

thanks! He is starting to eat a little less now. Since grass is his favorite thing to eat ever since he discovered it.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
ascott said:
It is good he likes grass....not all Russians do so that is a bonus :D
Lol, i wouldn't know that from the way he eats it up. Hes a small lawnmower some days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.