Got another discovery

lillyanna

Ok my aunt found a turtle and she is asking me and i have no idea what to do. I bareyt learned about mine so i dont want to do wrong to this turtle so help she is scared to touch it so this is the best i can do online sorry

Attachments

• 1400527406907.jpg
    1400527406907.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 1400527419130.jpg
    1400527419130.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 79

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Please relocate that turtle where it was before. Where did your aunt find it? Just try to put it back where she found it (Unless she found it in the middle of the street).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Looks like a 3 toed to me.
First find out if the are native to that area, then see if it is legal to release it, then go from there.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If she found it in a neighborhood it may be difficult to find out where it actually lives. I can't identify it from these pictures but it is a nice looking animal. Tell her it probably will not bite her but if she is scared to pick it up she can do so safely from the back end like picking up a sandwhich, lol.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Looks like a 3 toed to me.
First find out if the are native to that area, then see if it is legal to release it, then go from there.
My thought as well. If it was a pet then releasing it is NOT the right thing to do.

lillyanna

Well she found it in her backyard and im thinking it is not wild because it seems to like people it will apperently run to the front of the house and meet u and her girls feed him and pick him up so im thinking it might have been a pet not quite sure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, find out if box turtles are native to where your Aunt lives, and if so, put it back where she found it. If not, then if she doesn't want it, find a rescue to take it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Well she found it in her backyard and im thinking it is not wild because it seems to like people it will apperently run to the front of the house and meet u and her girls feed him and pick him up so im thinking it might have been a pet not quite sure
Sounds like a lost pet. Wild ones will not often chase a person down like they know where their food comes from. Ask around. Where does your Aunt live?

lillyanna

They are but they are also rare but she doesnt wanna give it up she explicitly made it clear when i asked soit seems like the 3 toed one they seem to be native to texas

pandio

Boise, ID.
Its really hard to tell but looks sorta like my yellow mud turtle that came from Texas....need better pics.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Its really hard to tell but looks sorta like my yellow mud turtle that came from Texas....need better pics.
I totally agree with you , the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic was a mud turtle

pandio

Boise, ID.
I posted pics of my mud turtle for reference. I love them too. Awesome little guys!

lillyanna

Ok she saod he looks exactly like those pictures so if thank you so much that helps alot

lillyanna

And if u can send me a link on the food and care etc that would help i am at work so i do jot have much time to look till th8s weekend

pandio

Boise, ID.
heres a couple. I hope it helps. I have mine set up in a 40 gal breeder tank with water and she likes a cave to hide in, has a basking area that lets her get all the way out of the water with a uvb/heat light. loves live foods (worms, crickets, etc) and turtle pellets, shrimp etc... I also feed leafy greens, safe weeds and sometimes fruit and veggies.

http://www.herpsoftexas.org/content/yellow-mud-turtle
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/turtle/
http://www.empireoftheturtle.com/kinosternon_flavescens.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheets.htm