good places to buy sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cberg45

5 Year Member
im looking for a website that sells baby sulcatas that are healthy about 3 years ago i was sold a baby sulcata and he wasnt acting right for a couples of days so i took to the vet and he died the vet said his liver failed. so now 3 years later im getting another and want to get him/her from a well known breeder so this wont happen again.any input will be well appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well there is Me, KBaker, Katherine, Austin, and Tortilover to start with. Austin has a website, but the rest of us don't. We just raise start and occasionally sell healthy, well hydrated babies.

If there is anybody I forgot, please add them, or PM them this thread.

cberg45

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
What country/state are you located in?

i live in Florida

Tom said:
Well there is Me, KBaker, Katherine, Austin, and Tortilover to start with. Austin has a website, but the rest of us don't. We just raise start and occasionally sell healthy, well hydrated babies.

If there is anybody I forgot, please add them, or PM them this thread.

do you know if underground reptiles is a good place to buy sulcatas from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know them at all, but why would you want to buy from some large scale operation that is probably reselling some they bought elsewhere, instead of directly from the breeder, who has started them right from day one?

In my signature there are some threads. There is one called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome". It directly relates to your last tortoise experience, and there is another one called "Beginner Mistakes" Where I outline some common mistakes that I and many others have made. I think these threads might help you to avoid what happened the last time. The liver failure on your last one is probably due to chronic dehydration in the first few weeks of life. Sadly most of the people out there are still starting and raising sulcatas this way. The few that I mentioned above do not. In the end it is your choice, but given what you went through before, I hope you will let us lend you some insight and help.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't know them at all, but why would you want to buy from some large scale operation that is probably reselling some they bought elsewhere, instead of directly from the breeder, who has started them right from day one?

In my signature there are some threads. There is one called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome". It directly relates to your last tortoise experience, and there is another one called "Beginner Mistakes" Where I outline some common mistakes that I and many others have made. I think these threads might help you to avoid what happened the last time. The liver failure on your last one is probably due to chronic dehydration in the first few weeks of life. Sadly most of the people out there are still starting and raising sulcatas this way. The few that I mentioned above do not. In the end it is your choice, but given what you went through before, I hope you will let us lend you some insight and help.

I agree. It's like buying a puppy from a pet store or from someone who breeds them at their home. With a breeder you can see the parents and get expert advice.

zulu

5 Year Member
Melbourne, FL
If you are near south Florida you could go to Florida Iguana and Tortoise Breeders. That way you could pick out which one you want and checking out his Aldabra and Galapagos torts is pretty cool too. Sam is a nice guy who really seems to care about his animals.

cberg45

5 Year Member
Tom said:

ok i agree with you 100% im trying to put a deposit on a tort from austin. i just have 2 questions that have been bothering me. i will take my baby outside for probably 15-30 minutes every other day it says in one of your threads that thats enough not to have a uvb bulb in there cage.also for nighttime temps my house really changes somedays its hot somedays its colder now should i just buy a low wattage nightbulb just in case it gets cold or should it be ok the nighttime temps range from 73-78.and if i need a bulb what does che mean so i can look it up and get it.

Tom said:

never mind i found what che means im tired my reading is a lil thrown off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.