Good photographic key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin

5 Year Member
Hi,

I recently joined the forum, seems like a good group of people.

I'm wondering where I might find a pretty good key to the Pyxis tortoises, even if just for adults?

I've seen some flat-tailed tortoises and they seem distinct, but the three species (subspecies) of the "spider" tortoises seem more complicated. I looked through the threads here and see photos and people making determinations, but it was for small individuals.

I think I'm good at ID'ing all the small brown birds that come to my feeder, so figure with a decent key I could sort these out as well. Maybe in a issues of Reptiles magazine or something like that.

Frank

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Pyxis are a hard to come by as adults in a whole. Oblonga and Plaunacauda are your more rare ones and have different care than arachnoides and Brygooi. Have you ever had them before? They are quite different and for more experianced keepers if you have never had them before. But can be easy for sure. Good luck finding some, they are getting rarer and rarer.

Franklin

5 Year Member
YES, I've had planicauda, and several more. What's your point? I'm seeking a clean well illustrated key. I have some text descriptions, but as they say "one picture is worth many words."

What I have 'read' about planicuada is that they are pretty easy to deal with which had been my experience before, but that the incubation of their eggs can be tricky, but for the most part that too is now rather formulaic.

Frank - seeker of an illustrated key

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The central subspecies, pyxis arachnoides arachnoides has a plastron devoid of markings and its anterior hinge will close completely. The northern subspecies, p. a. brygooi has a plastron devoid of markings and an anterior hinge that won't close completely. The southern subspecies, p. a. oblonga has black markings on its plastral scutes and a fully developed anterior hinge.

Franklin

5 Year Member
Thanks for the narrated key, it is more clear and precise than others I have found. I would guess then three short videos would be needed as the key is based on dynamic body abilities of these tortoises. Static photos might not be so helpful, might be why I have not found one.

Franklin

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Franklin said:
Thanks for the narrated key, it is more clear and precise than others I have found. I would guess then three short videos would be needed as the key is based on dynamic body abilities of these tortoises. Static photos might not be so helpful, might be why I have not found one.

Franklin

I have no first-hand experience with the species (I hope to get some in the future); the account I have gotten is from Bill Zovickian, who has kept other Madagascan species in the past (radiateds and ploughshares). With his experience, I'm guessing it would be the most accurate ID guide. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You can see some similar physical differences on photos, but the hinge moving as stated would need to have a sequence of photos or video to show. But clearly the differences are visible. Use these as an example. The 3 are Oblonga and the 1 is a brygooi.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 77

Franklin

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Have you looked through this gallery:

http://www.chelonia.org/pyxis_gallery.htm

I did see these, but from what I have read from other respondents here, it's more certain to look at the plastron, than the carapace. There is only plastron photo there.

As long as direction to off site pages seems to be OK, I looked through the archives of Pyxis group via Yahoo groups, and over several images the difference becomes more clear.

I have also found from yet further alternate sources, that many crosses of breeding have occurred within these three subspecies. I guess they still make good pets, but have lost their 'genetic' value.

Frank

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
tortoises101 said:
The central subspecies, pyxis arachnoides arachnoides has a plastron devoid of markings and its anterior hinge will close completely. The northern subspecies, p. a. brygooi has a plastron devoid of markings and an anterior hinge that won't close completely. The southern subspecies, p. a. oblonga has black markings on its plastral scutes and a fully developed anterior hinge.

That's the ID differences I'm familiar with, as well.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
tortoises101 said:
Franklin said:

Franklin

I have no first-hand experience with the species (I hope to get some in the future); the account I have gotten is from Bill Zovickian, who has kept other Madagascan species in the past (radiateds and ploughshares). With his experience, I'm guessing it would be the most accurate ID guide. :)

He, Dr. Zovickian, actually wrote the best caresheet out there on the species. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the only one. I used it as my bible when I was starting out with my group.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
There has been a lot of confusion regarding the proper identification of the three subspecies of Pyxis arachnoides. There was some confusion regarding this when they were first imported years ago. The commonly recognized description of each by many scholars and by the North American Regional studbook for Spider tortoises is as follows. Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides has a hinged plastron with no markings. Pyxis arachnoides brygooi has no hinge. Pyxis arachnoides oblonga has a hinged plastron with black markings on the plastron. Here is a photo description that we made several years ago. The three tortoises in this photo reside here!

PyxisID.jpg

The care for all 3 subspecies is the same!! We have first hand experience keeping and raising all three subspecies and P planicauda. I will say that the P a oblonga seem to stress easier than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.