Good idea? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
I'm re arranging the torts enclosure and ive had an idea, I have an old plastic hamster box with a lid that comes off and on this lid, there's a flappy lid lol if you get what I mean lol well, I wana add an underground cave/hide for them and have been thinking of doing one of the following

1, dig a hole (shape of the cage) and put it in with the main lid on but take off the little lid, bury the whole thing bar the smaller lid hole and work something out so they can get in and out of the smaller entrance but at night, they can sleep and bury in it underground

Only problem with this one is I'm worried that it's get to hot in there for them if they go in during the day with temps gettin hot now

Or

2, take the main lid of completely, turn the plastic cage upside down a cut a bit out for the entrance, bury it in the ground but leaving a slope for them to get down into it

If you understand, which do you think is the best option lol tried explaining the best I could ha

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The problem with making a cave and digging down is flooding... if they're in there when you have a thunderstorm, you'll end up with drowned torts.

Make a cave by all means, but do it at surface level and then pile earth on top of it so you have a big mound of earth with an entrance hole basically.

Keep the floor of your cave earth so that they can scrabble round in it.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
The problem with making a cave and digging down is flooding... if they're in there when you have a thunderstorm, you'll end up with drowned torts.

Make a cave by all means, but do it at surface level and then pile earth on top of it so you have a big mound of earth with an entrance hole basically.

Keep the floor of your cave earth so that they can scrabble round in it.

I never actually thought about that lol I shall do a normal cave haha

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
yoda3106 said:
I'm re arranging the torts enclosure and ive had an idea, I have an old plastic hamster box with a lid that comes off and on this lid, there's a flappy lid lol if you get what I mean lol well, I wana add an underground cave/hide for them and have been thinking of doing one of the following

1, dig a hole (shape of the cage) and put it in with the main lid on but take off the little lid, bury the whole thing bar the smaller lid hole and work something out so they can get in and out of the smaller entrance but at night, they can sleep and bury in it underground

Only problem with this one is I'm worried that it's get to hot in there for them if they go in during the day with temps gettin hot now

Or

2, take the main lid of completely, turn the plastic cage upside down a cut a bit out for the entrance, bury it in the ground but leaving a slope for them to get down into it

If you understand, which do you think is the best option lol tried explaining the best I could ha

Another option is a man-made cave, like I use:

ea72e7f6-7d4e-4b94-a598-479159d1a204

It stays a little cooler on hot days, although that may not be as much of an issue up there...if you go this route, build a stairway of rocks so your little buddy can climb up and catch some rays on top!

94f81e8c-9197-41ca-b62b-634c073adf07

Edit: Just realized that I've already shared these pics w/ you quite recently... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.