Good Hideouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I'm still looking for something to put in Toby's enclosure that he can hide in. I was looking at the log type things at Petco but they look like he would get stuck in them. Does anyone have any good suggestions for what I can put in his enclosure? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A while back someone posted an edible gerbil house that they were using for a hide. I've looked at different pet stores trying to find them, but can't. It was just the cutest thing, and the tortoise loved it.

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Weloveourtortoise said:
How big is Toby? How about a taking one or two shoe boxes and cut out and tape together to form a hide.

I second the cardboard box idea!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
They are very cute, I think I am going to order one too :D

I just found out that wood pine is the first component of the hide, I guess it would be dangerouns to put one in Hermy's enclosure, would'nt it?

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I love the shoebox idea! I just went out and bought a little tunnel thing at the pet store, but I think I will be returning it and making my own =)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I like various log hides, boxes, or plastic containers (not clear sides though). Some torts don't like these, such as mine. I use mainly fake plants and timothy hay piles as hides. A mix of different types of hides in different temperature zones is idea.

Isa-I wouldn't use anything with pine that Trevor would come into direct contact with (I have a pine tortoise table for him though), but I remember a discussion of the edible (for small mammals, not tortoises) hides lie the one shown in the link above with pine...something that they were ok for some reason. Personal preference though. Maybe you can find that thread?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Kate, I always play safe, so I will forget about the hide, too bad because it is very cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.