God issued

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I don't fault anyone for not liking snakes. Some of them are literally deadly. Its a valid fear. My problem is with the people who kill all snakes indiscriminately. They kill the beneficial harmless snakes that eat the venomous snakes. That just makes no sense, and it leaves the world worse off every time it happens.
I totally agree. I have a 100% life focused existence at this point and just absolutely hate everything having to do glorifying death (skulls, blood, death metal). I used to hunt/conserve and can't even conceive of taking another creature now days. Don't think bad of hunters, I'm just no longer in that place. I'd rather enjoy the creatures with a smile and help all of them out. All life has value and purpose except for career criminals LOL!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I really don't want to be around snakes but I always end up around both types of them. Poisonous and harmless are just snakes though. Eeek. However, even with as many encounters as I've had with them in the wild , I've never been bit. Even when I accidentally stepped on several different ones. I would have bit me.I have to admit I got chased by a blue racer once because I came inches from stepping on the poor darling. I was busy getting the heck out of dodge that time 🤗 I can't believe I could run that fast.😁

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I totally agree. I have a 100% life focused existence at this point and just absolutely hate everything having to do glorifying death (skulls, blood, death metal). I used to hunt/conserve and can't even conceive of taking another creature now days. Don't think bad of hunters, I'm just no longer in that place. I'd rather enjoy the creatures with a smile and help all of them out. All life has value and purpose except for career criminals LOL!
I feel STRONGLY that those who can should show those that can't. All persons ok with snakes and handling should show that instead of scaring people because they can handle them. In all of the Reptile/Snake shows my family has done, we would encounter a child deathly afraid of Snakes and then encounter THEIR parent that is deathly afraid. Parents making kids scared because of their fear. This type of situation became our mission, it became what we tried to accomplish with every show. We would stay after in the parking lot, playground wherever it was to quell the fears of the parent which in turn would eliminate the fear from their child. It became VERY clear that the fear was given to the child by the parent, so eliminate the parents fear and bye bye goes the childs.
I as well fall into the trap of sarcasm and jokes but never will I scare another with a snake. I try and work on the sarcastic side.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I can understand people being afraid of snakes, to some extent, if they have had a bad experience with them - but when out with Zola, we occasionally meet people who are really scared of tortoises !! I wonder if this is to do with being in the UK, where there are no native tortoises, and a lot of people have never actually seen one ? Poor Zola gets accused of being "slimy"- which he isn't - and of being likely to bite, with poisonous saliva !! It doesn't happen often, fortunately, but they must have got these ideas from somewhere.
Angie

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Last Spring here in Corvallis Oregon we had the most strange happening...Garter snakes came from somewhere and they piled 10 or 20 or 40 on top of the azalea bushes and bred. It lasted all day, then gone every last one...odd and strange and cool as hell

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Last Spring here in Corvallis Oregon we had the most strange happening...Garter snakes came from somewhere and they piled 10 or 20 or 40 on top of the azalea bushes and bred. It lasted all day, then gone every last one...odd and strange and cool as hell
Wow that is so cool to get to see that. That's a once in a lifetime thing. I once got to hear frogs breeding. I thought it was birds singing it was so beautiful. I found out later it's very unusual to get to hear what I heard. It has to be the perfect temperature, humidity, etc for it to happen. I was blessed.🤗

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I can understand people being afraid of snakes, to some extent, if they have had a bad experience with them - but when out with Zola, we occasionally meet people who are really scared of tortoises !! I wonder if this is to do with being in the UK, where there are no native tortoises, and a lot of people have never actually seen one ? Poor Zola gets accused of being "slimy"- which he isn't - and of being likely to bite, with poisonous saliva !! It doesn't happen often, fortunately, but they must have got these ideas from somewhere.
Angie
There is a female ER trauma nurse next door...I asked her to kinda keep an eye on Mary K in case she gets in trouble and I was gonna be gone all day...she said she'd watch her from her deck, but there was no way she could touch her. Holy Sh*t, really? She ugly, but not dangerous...my neighbor, not Mary...lol
taking the roof of her sleeping box, and getting a temperature at tortoise level, then upping the heat and she's been coming out and eating every morning now...she's a kind of a divaDSCN2204.JPG during winter here...lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
There is a female ER trauma nurse next door...I asked her to kinda keep an eye on Mary K in case she gets in trouble and I was gonna be gone all day...she said she'd watch her from her deck, but there was no way she could touch her. Holy Sh*t, really? She ugly, but not dangerous...my neighbor, not Mary...lol
taking the roof of her sleeping box, and getting a temperature at tortoise level, then upping the heat and she's been coming out and eating every morning now...she's a kind of a divaView attachment 364933 during winter here...lol
How offensive of your neighbour ! Personally, I would pay to have the honour of guarding Mary !
Angie

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Angie
Slimy! Well I never. Slugs are slimy. I'm not really afraid of slugs, I just don't want them on me. ... Ick.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
taking the roof of her sleeping box, and getting a temperature at tortoise level, then upping the heat and she's been coming out and eating every morning now...she's a kind of a divaView attachment 364933 during winter here...lol
the neighbor lady that we take care of their pets when they are out of town, I ask if she could take care of Mojo for a weekend she planned a trip to be out of town. And does it every time we ask to take care of the little tort. How can anyone say no to this face.20231210_151740.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Slimy! Well I never. Slugs are slimy. I'm not really afraid of slugs, I just don't want them on me. ... Ick.
Absolutely agree - slugs are disgusting and revolting! UGH 😫. I can manage just about anything else.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
the neighbor lady that we take care of their pets when they are out of town, I ask if she could take care of Mojo for a weekend she planned a trip to be out of town. And does it every time we ask to take care of the little tort. How can anyone say no to this face.View attachment 364948
What a little cutie 😊

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Does this mean you have already found a new keeper? Is it someone from the forum - and if so, will he be prepared to keep updating her progress for her fans?
Angie