Getting the humidity up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
So my 9 year old Russian Tortoise is in a 50 gallon container right now until we can make her a tortoise table. She has a bowl of water which she can climb in and soak. The substrate is forest floor cypress mulch bedding. The basking is 90 degree's but the humidity is at a low 30.

How can I get it up? Let me know!!

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Try finding something to cover it and spray down the enclosure. Once you cover your enclosure the humidity will stay in. You could find many things to cover it with like Plexiglases if it isn't too big, aluminum foil, etc. I used a giant picture frame to cover half of my 2/3 of my enclosure and it is doing a great job. I don't know much about Russians but I have a redfoot and use a humidifier for a few minutes a day.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
As far as russians I don't know too much but yes covering the top will make a huge difference I too the screen lid that my tank came with and coved it with tin foild huge difference. Also I use moss I soak it well misting and it will dry that helps. Live plants as well do great water them maybe 2-3 times a week but daily misting and covering the top will help. XD good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians don't need as high of a humidity as a red foot or leopard. I would switch to coconut coir for a substrate, they can dig into it better or mix it with what you have, and it does hold humidity really well.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Yes, I will try covering it, and in about a month we will be making a tortoise table and I will be getting different bedding. Think she will be fine until then?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Deeper substrate should work as well it should help raise the humidity but absorbing more water then drying out and will allow your russian to dig/burrow or shuffle into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.