Getting my Tortoise tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

5 Year Member
P1070337.JPGP1070339.JPGView attachment 41072View attachment 41072Hi,

My name is Sean and I live in England, and tomorrow, I am picking up my Horsefield tortoise, who i have named "Rolo" ( Full name Rolls-Royce The Tortoise!)

His Table is now ready, please take a look at my pics, any advise appreciated! The substrate is a mix of Top Soil and Play Sand, and there is Straw in his hideout. Any Top Tips would be good, especially about what to feed him, and how often!

Attachments

• P1070331.JPG
    P1070331.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 131
  • P1070325.JPG
    P1070325.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 129
  • P1070327.JPG
    P1070327.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 107
  • P1070329.JPG
    P1070329.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 102
  • P1070333.JPG
    P1070333.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P1070335.JPG
    P1070335.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sean, and welcome to the Forum!

Do you know how big your new tortoise is (a baby or full grown)? Reason I ask is if its full grown I don't think the walls of your beautiful castle grounds are going to be tall enough.

Another thing is the sand. I really don't like to use ANY sand at all in my substrate. I've seen radiographs of baby tortoises with impactions from eating sand. They don't eat it on purpose, but it gets on their food and they eat it that way.

Seems like I'm just going to pick your beautiful castle apart, but I don't like the waterer either. Tortoises have been known to tip over backwards when trying to climb out of those water dishes. A much better choice would be a plant saucer. Sloping sides - easy to climb into and out of.

Did you make that habitat? It is so cute! I can't wait to see your new little inhabitant in it.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
That is the cutest enclosure I have ever seen. I love creativity !!!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I really like the Castle Idea it is absolutely adorable.......That being said I agree with Yvonne about the height. Even 2-3 inches more would really help to keep your new friend where he/she belongs. I use a terra cotta saucer for my water dish and I like it best thing is that it sort of blend in witht the dirt. Others are going to pick your enclosure apart breathe deep they are doing it from a caring place. Welcome and congrats on the new baby!!! Can't wait to see pics of your little guy.

BTW....Where's his hide??? He will be very appreciative of a hide especially when you first get him he will want to hide until he gets used to his new castle!! :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hello from another English member-in Wilts, with red foots. I know the TT reccomends sand and soil mix but this isn't great, use plain soil-don't need straw.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Ha HA just found the hide!! how creative are you!!! love that!!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I don't know anything about Horsfirld tortoises but it sounds like you already got some great advice. I just wanted to say that I LOVE your enclosure!! Very creative! Don't forget to post pic's when you get your tortoise!!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi There,
Thanks for the replies. The tortoise I am getting is an 18 mth old Horsefield from a reputable shop in Cheshire. I bought some plant pot holders, but I was advised that the tortoise might tip these over, hence spending £9.00 on the water dish today. Your advises are really handy for me. The sides are abpprox 8 inches high, and I thought long and hard about the substrate, lots of googling and the top answer seemed to be sand and soil?
I am going to pick up the tortoise tomorrow, so Do I need to be buying anything else? Plus, I though straw was needed in the hide? Is i best to have none in there?

I can take criticism, just want to get it right.
PS I am putting the lights on plug timers, is 12 hours correct?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with all of the above. To recap:
Ditch the sand. Impaction risk and eye irritant.
Ditch the hay. Molds when damp.
Ditch the water bowl. Replace with something shallower and safer.
Raise the castle walls. :)

I love the design. Very creative. The covered hide area is fantastic too.

Best food for russians is broadleaf weeds. You'll have to do some research to see which ones are near you, or you can order seeds and grow your own. You can also feed mulberry leaves, grape leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, rocket salad, endive, escarole, cilantro, collard greens, mustard greens, carrot tops, and many other leafy greens. Avoid fruit and vegetables for the most part.

Keep asking lots of questions.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I love love love the castle!!! Congratulations on your new baby, can't wait to see him. The people here have great advice for us newbie's. Even though it sucks having to change things you've spent time and money setting up, they know their stuff.

Keep posting pictures!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Home (1).JPGHome (2).JPGHome (3).JPGHome (4).JPGHome (5).JPGHi,

We have picked up Rolo today, and he is so cute, and settling in to his new home!! We took some of your advices, and swapped the large water dish for a shallower option. We have kept the 80% Top Soil / 20% sand mix for now, as advised by the seller. We may change this in future. I have taken some more pics, enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I for one like the sand mixed in and at those low percentages they should not cause impaction issues. I use mine with coir, but soail is pretty much the same thing.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I agree with Jacqui. Looks like you got things worked out for you! I would give a pile of food about the size of his/her shell and if he/she eats it all, give a little more. I would also get a cuttle bone to gnaw on.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
In the wild they would come accross sand, but a very different sand to here. Monitor it carefully, many breeders follow the TT's advice regarding sand and soil mix BUT a lot are now completely getting rid of the sand.

Minority1

5 Year Member
wow. thumbs up for creativity. way to jazz up the old mundane boring tortoise tables. Giving me ideas for building table #3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sean: Your new waterer is great! Now, dig out the substrate from under it so the top edge of the waterer is even with the substrate. That way the tort doesn't have to actually climb in to drink, and he can just reach over with his head and dring. They DO like to actually get in the water, but sometimes they just stick their head in.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Congrats on the new tortoise!

Could it be a girl? In one pic it looked like i saw a short stubby tail, so i thought i would ask :)

Do some reading up on the coil uvb bulb (the spiral one you are using). It has some side effects. Tube uvb bulbs are a great alternative.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Thanks Guys,
We picked Rolo up at 11.30am on Wednesday, ( Advised it was a boy, although doesnt really matter!) He had a wonder around his enclosure, but has spent the majority of the time in the Hide part. He went in at 6.pm last night, and staye din there until 10.00am this morning, when we actually took him out! He hasn't eaten anything yet, or drank. I did dip him in the water, just to show him where it was! He then wandered back into the hide, and han't been seen since ( 4 hours)
It's a hard life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.