Getting a new house for my horsefield.

typoon221

I am getting a new viv that is 115cm width x 44cm height x 61 cm Depth.
Lighting - UVB Strip currently only one.
Heating - Ceramic heat bulb
Substrate - coco coir (how ever it is spelt).
Water - Always available

Why am I getting a Viv and not a table? Good Question. I live in an 1940's build house in the UK, the rooms are big and the heat in the house is not very stable. I am getting a viv to ensure that I can correctly regulate the temperature as I would hate for something to go wrong and my tort to suffer from it.
I also have a child that loves hiding things... so I wouldnt want stuff being hid in the tortoises table.

I am positing this for advice on how is best to setup the thermometer probe in the new viv that controls the Cermaic Heat Bulb. I understand the probe should be in the middle on the viv, but what tempeture should I set this to so that I get the correct basking heat at one end and the correct heat at the cool end.

I have seen some people put the probe under the basking area so they know the tempeture is correct there but Im not sure if this is the best thing to do.

Also would you suggest I get another UVB strip bulb? or just change from ceramic bulb to a basking light?.

I want to give my tort the best possible home I can although I can not use a table, he does have a 8ftx 6ft outdoor enclosure for summer but currently its wayyyy to cold outside for him.

This is for a Russian Horsefield tortoise!

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's not quite 4'x not quite 2'. Not really big enough, but I s'pose you can make it work. Russian tortoises like it a bit cooler than the baby tortoises we talk so much about here on the Forum. You want it to be about 100F directly under the light fading to about 80F at one end then down to room temperature (70-75F or so) at the other end. I don't use a probe. I just spot check the temperature on the floor everywhere every so often. One UVB is all that's needed. Then you also need heat.

typoon221

Fantastic thanks a lot!
I know its a little short but its a temporary viv until the loft conversion is completed. Once that is done in 7 months I will be getting a 6ft viv for him as I will have the room!

Would you recommend adding additional vents to the viv? as I believe the only ones it comes with are bullt into the sliders for the door, I do plan on making modifications to make this viv last until the Loft is completed!.

I do have heat for the viv, I am using a ceramic heat bulb at one end, well I will be.

Thanks again