Fragrances and tortoises

sheilae04

So, is it true that I cannot use any type of fragrance in my home unless it's essential oils? Currently, my Russian is housed in my classroom, where I have always used wallflower plug ins from bath and body works. The actual plug in is on the complete opposite side of the room, but the scent is apparent as soon as you walk in the door.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I do not believe that to be true, but I am not sure.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Most perfumes and artificial fragrances are gender-bending carcinogenic endocrine disruptors for mammals, which seems reason enough IMO to avoid them as much as possible. Let alone what they likely do to reptiles.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I know it is true for birds , due to their fragile respiratory systems . I couldn't really say about torts ! If you want to "go natural" and harmless a glass or bowl of vinegar set out is a great odor eliminator . If you want to get fancy , save orange peels in a quart jar full of vinegar for 5 or 6 days and you will have a nice orange fragrance when you uncover the jar . Sort of pickled orange rinds ! ;)

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I would be nervous to use synthetic fragrances around any animal or reptile, let alone myself! I'm surprised you are allowed to use them in the classroom. I would probably end up having a migraine or asthma attack. Better to use essential oils but even those can be tricky. Be especially careful with tea tree oil as it can be poisonous if ingested. Orange peels are a great and safe idea. :)