Found a baby turtle and need help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, for sure he's a desert tortoise. The water IS good for him. He's been kept way too dry and it shows in his shell. He should have moist substrate and get a daily good 15 minute soak in a bowl he can't climb out of.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If he is constantly refusing ot leave the water I'd recommend you make sure the tank isn't too warm for him and maybe offer another safe spot to hide in case he's feeling insecure. My reds really like having things to go under like fake plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thank you so much. I will start to research dessert tortoises and learn about them.

Most of what you find on desert tortoise care is old, outdated and wrong. Most of the babies that hatch every year die, because people do "research" and then follow that "expert" advice.

House and care for him like this, and hopefully he will make it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I've saved dozens of them with these methods.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Most of what you find on desert tortoise care is old, outdated and wrong. Most of the babies that hatch every year die, because people do "research" and then follow that "expert" advice.

I've been there! When I lived in southern California I kept a desert tortoise hatchling. I loved it and thought I was properly caring for it. As the name implies "desert" I thought that I needed to keep it hot and dry. They even used to say that desert tortoises get all their water intake from the food they eat. Definitely not the case! They burrow into the ground and inside their burrows it's humid. Follow Tom's advice and I'm sure it'll be fine. This site has updated care information and very knowledgeable keepers here!

Nevvy

San diego

Great!!! Thank you. I went to a reptile store and the gentleman actually has a few dessert tortoises and was very helpful! Hoping I can get this turtle back in shape.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
This weekend The San Diego Turtle And Tortoise Society is having their big show at Balboa Park. Since you live in San Diego it is right there. You will be able to meet people that are very interested in the proper care of all chelonians. Visit sdturtle.org.

Nevvy

San diego
This weekend The San Diego Turtle And Tortoise Society is having their big show at Balboa Park. Since you live in San Diego it is right there. You will be able to meet people that are very interested in the proper care of all chelonians. Visit sdturtle.org.
Yes I found that and def going!!

Nevvy

San diego
Hi everyone!!! Thank you for all of your help. Jeff has really been doing great! Gobbling up all his fresh lettuces etc and loving his soaks and his outside time. Only thing that bothers me is his eyes. Do they look normal? Please advise. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3082.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3086.PNG
    IMG_3086.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Maitaimommy

I agree it's a tort and not a turtle. Best to keep him out of the water. Dark leafy greens and sunlight are best! Glad you joined this site! People on here are very helpful. I'm learning so much:)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome! It sounds like he's doing great, as long as he's eating and using the bathroom you should be good! Like Yvonne said, as dry as he was his daily warm soaks are crucial for him to stay hydrated. As far as his eyes, what kind of bulbs are you using? What kind of set up is he currently staying in?

Nevvy

San diego
Welcome! It sounds like he's doing great, as long as he's eating and using the bathroom you should be good! Like Yvonne said, as dry as he was his daily warm soaks are crucial for him to stay hydrated. As far as his eyes, what kind of bulbs are you using? What kind of set up is he currently staying in?
I have a uva and uvb bulb that stays on for 10-12 hours a day. I have him in a 60 gallon tank. I will take a picture in a hour when I am home. He poops a lot, especially in his water and eats a lot.

Freckles24

TN
I see that you are taking him outside which is great! Since his shell is soft make sure he gets plenty of outside basking time (like everyday) UVBs are great but there's nothing like real sun! Glad he is in your care and has a chance now.

Edit: I didn't even see the date your post was made lol so this is super late but either way

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What type of uvb lamp are you using? If it's a compact fluorescent get it out of there . If he is getting time outdoors daily you don't need indoor uvb . Look at the care sheets Tom has linked . They will make sure you have a healthy baby tortoise. Follow Toms and Yvonnes advice and you can't go wrong . They have years of experience keeping these guys healthy . I know it's hard to trust what people tell you on line . But These people know what they're doing .