Fostering a new tortoise

turtlepiano

5 Year Member
So, a neighbor found an adult sulcata. They have dogs and a pool so they cannot keep it. I volunteered to foster it. We have a “teenage” sulcata, about 35 pounds. Rather foster tort is probably 80 pounds. They charge at each other in a full sprint at every opportunity. I pick the little one up and move him.

I know they will not have peace until one establishes dominance, but I don’t want our little guy to get hurt. Any advice? Just let them go?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
They need to be separated ASAP. They will never find peace, because in pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate. They will never get along, and the only thing it will ever bring is stress.

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
So, a neighbor found an adult sulcata. They have dogs and a pool so they cannot keep it. I volunteered to foster it. We have a “teenage” sulcata, about 35 pounds. Rather foster tort is probably 80 pounds. They charge at each other in a full sprint at every opportunity. I pick the little one up and move him.

I know they will not have peace until one establishes dominance, but I don’t want our little guy to get hurt. Any advice? Just let them go?
Sorry, but I'm afraid that your "rescue" is likely to play havoc with your own Sulcata. You can keep them in separate territories, if you have enough acreage. Most people don't, so don't let your "little one" get hurt.