Foods that both Sulcata tortoises and Green iguanas can share.

tigerscott79

Location (City and/or State)
Elkhart
Trying to make list of foods both Sulcata tortoises and iguanas can eat (ik sulcata are mostly hay and grasses and weeds , however is there an over lap of acceptable foods (veggies , weeds, and such) i can feed my green iguana and use on occasion as topper or treat for my sulcata tortoise? Ik there are foods both cant eat but wouls greatlyike help with list they can have if anyone is able too? Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Green leafy things and flowers can be used for both. Hibiscus bushes would be good to plant in your yard.
I don't keep Sulcata, so I'm not sure what else can be fed

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Trying to make list of foods both Sulcata tortoises and iguanas can eat (ik sulcata are mostly hay and grasses and weeds , however is there an over lap of acceptable foods (veggies , weeds, and such) i can feed my green iguana and use on occasion as topper or treat for my sulcata tortoise? Ik there are foods both cant eat but wouls greatlyike help with list they can have if anyone is able too? Thanks.
Pretty much any greens u feed ur iguana are fine supplemental food for ur sully and ur iguana can eat the weeds ur sully eats also.

HowelGrace

USA, Califronia
Hey! I'm not an expert, but I like learning new things about animals. While diets of Sulcata tortoises and green iguanas may differ slightly, there are some overlapping options.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey! I'm not an expert, but I like learning new things about animals. While diets of Sulcata tortoises and green iguanas may differ slightly, there are some overlapping options.
One of the main differences is that the sulcata must not be given fruit.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
One of the main differences is that the sulcata must not be given fruit.
And you are NOT an expert Tammy. This is something you have learned from the experts here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basically everything that you'd feed to a sulcata, except the grass hay and grass, can be fed to the iguana.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Green leafy things and flowers can be used for both. Hibiscus bushes would be good to plant in your yard.
I don't keep Sulcata, so I'm not sure what else can be fed
Rose of Sharon, grape leafs, dandelions and more...clover100_2913.JPG

it's easy to grow food for Sulcata in your own yard ...this is what a meal looks like at my house for Sulcata

100_4816.JPG

HowelGrace

USA, Califronia

Some good options include leafy greens like collard greens, dandelion greens, kale, and fruits like strawberries, melons, and apples.
By the way, I also came across an article titled are iguanas dangerous? that you might find interesting. After reading this, I just want to know if you understand some dangers of owning an exotic pet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some good options include leafy greens like collard greens, dandelion greens, kale, and fruits like strawberries, melons, and apples.
By the way, I also came across an article titled are iguanas dangerous? that you might find interesting. After reading this, I just want to know if you understand some dangers of owning an exotic pet.
No, those are not great options. All of those greens are okay to feed once in a while but not as regular diet items. Fruit should never be offer to a sulcata.

Please take the time to learn the right info before dispensing advice: