Food?!

tortoisemommy79zx

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho, USAa
Just curious what other peoples tortoises like to eat?
I've been switching out a variety of mustard greens, a small amount of kale and the spring mix from Dole. They seem to love it. I also have been giving them dandelions.
Has anyone found something that they like? Also, i have read some stuff about animal protein.. something about boiled eggs? Is that even okay to give them every other week? I haven't tried it yet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Organic boiled eggs are fine if you are referring to offerings to a Redfoot, but not so much for a Russian....

You can also get some worms (live or freeze dried) for the Redfoot, they do enjoy them...you can also catch some pill bugs and nightcrawler worms and let them loose in the enclosure (Redfoot) as a fun way for the tortoise to search, hunt and eat them in between meals....I have one Redfoot baby here that LOVES LOVES LOVES to re arrange his entire enclosure whilst digging under everything finding worms and bugs....it is very funny actually....

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
ascott said:
Organic boiled eggs are fine if you are referring to offerings to a Redfoot, but not so much for a Russian....

You can also get some worms (live or freeze dried) for the Redfoot, they do enjoy them...you can also catch some pill bugs and nightcrawler worms and let them loose in the enclosure (Redfoot) as a fun way for the tortoise to search, hunt and eat them in between meals....I have one Redfoot baby here that LOVES LOVES LOVES to re arrange his entire enclosure whilst digging under everything finding worms and bugs....it is very funny actually....

I will have to try the boiled eggs. I will get some worms asap i hope she will like both of them.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
when my redfoots get protein so far i've given them chicken, chicken giblets, shrimp, boiled eggs, superworms and then also waxworms every now and then. Superworms and waxworms are also easy to breed yourself. out of all of that though the chicken giblets seem to be their favorite. :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Shrimp are high in protein! My reds devour salad shrimp.

I've heard variety is important. Kale seems to wither fast so I chop mine and blanche it, or dip it in boiling water for 30sec, then shake it, and immediately freeze it on a baking sheet. Then portioned. Seen in pic.

They also like herbs. And herbs are natures antibiotics so this is great for them. Mine like parsley and cilantro. But not basil, lol.

My reds also love Red Cabbage and mushrooms. I follow the diet suggestions at the Tortoise Library. http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

If my torts are slightly picky, i chop food items up so they are blended together. There's this great Calcium supplement I found on amazon that smells like blueberry and they love it. I'll find the link and post it. :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396644881.324712.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0004E85CW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
christinaland128 said:
Shrimp are high in protein! My reds devour salad shrimp.

I've heard variety is important. Kale seems to wither fast so I chop mine and blanche it, or dip it in boiling water for 30sec, then shake it, and immediately freeze it on a baking sheet. Then portioned. Seen in pic.

They also like herbs. And herbs are natures antibiotics so this is great for them. Mine like parsley and cilantro. But not basil, lol.

My reds also love Red Cabbage and mushrooms. I follow the diet suggestions at the Tortoise Library. http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

If my torts are slightly picky, i chop food items up so they are blended together. There's this great Calcium supplement I found on amazon that smells like blueberry and they love it. I'll find the link and post it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0004E85CW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I fed her some boiled eggs and pumpkin puree today.. The red foot loved it!

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
christinaland128 said:
Haha! That's cute! I'll have to try the eggs! :)

I just boiled a few of them took one out to check if it was cooked through then ate it haha. Just cook it just like you would cook them for yourself.