Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkociban

5 Year Member
What types of veggies and fruit do you guys give your sulcata?

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
absolutely NO FRUIT! i feed spring mix, or herb mix or buy a bunch of different greens and make my own mix, cactus, dried grasses, live grasses and weeds, i feed mazuri once a week, i occasionaly feed squash or zucchini, now that the weather is warming up i get mine outside more and let him graze on grasses grown from seed, sulcata seed mix, tortoise graze seed... variety is the key, start it now and you'll have a happy & healthy sully!

Tkociban

5 Year Member
I that I saw a thread that said they feed theirs strawberries? I didn't know you couldn't.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It won't hurt if its once a month or so as a treat, but Sulcatas do not need fruit. Redfoots need fruit in their diet regularly but Sulcatas do not and should not.

Tkociban

5 Year Member
Oh ok I give mine mixed veggies out of a frozen bag. Is that fine?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Tkociban said:
Oh ok I give mine mixed veggies out of a frozen bag. Is that fine?

No, frozen foods should not be fed. Your sulcata should have grass and weeds from a yard that is not treated with pesticides, and fresh veggies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
None.

I feed them grass, weeds, leaves and cactus pads. About three dozen different things. When they get older, they get a lot of grass hay, like orchard grass hay and bermuda hay.

They should not be eating fruits or vegetables on a regular basis. Those mixed veggies have nothing good for a sulcata. Corn, carrots, peas and green beans? None of that is a good part of a regular sulcata diet. I guess the legumes are okay for once in a while. A little grated carrot mixed in with some greens once in a while might not be bad, but none of these should be a staple.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm with Tom on this one. I feed my baby a dominate leaf/flower mix that only contains what I grow,(weeds from the UNTREATED yard). My adults get orchard grass that they graze on my land. The adults will love dandelion flowers and leaves when they get them, but for the most part the adults,(over 2yrs.) mainly get grasses. Here's a link for safe plants and common plants that are not safe for your tortoise;

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

My russian tortoises are very enthusiastic about most all leafy greens and flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.