Florescent CFL To Light Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TADitto

5 Year Member
I am currently using a MVB at one end of my sulcata enclosure and was wondering if a regular CFL bulb from Lowes or home depot would be ok to light up the rest of there enclosure?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
TADitto said:
I am currently using a MVB at one end of my sulcata enclosure and was wondering if a regular CFL bulb from Lowes or home depot would be ok to light up the rest of there enclosure?

I'm no expert but if those are fluorescent coil light bulbs a lot of people have told me that they will damage your tortoises and even cause blindness. I would try to google it and research it on the internet.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I would assume it would be okay to use. Regular cfl bulbs don't emmit uv rays. I think I recall the problem with the coil uv bulbs are they concentrate the uv rays to much at the end of the bulb. Or they emmit a little uvc which is harmful. I'd wait to hear from someone who has use a regular cfl first.

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally use regular 100 watt bulbs for stuff like that. After getting one tortoises blinded by a cfl bulb I ain't taking any chances...Use a regular bulb...

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Mo
I have used a CFL to light my enclosure with no problems at all for over a year. I use a 6500k and it puts out a nice white light, I did not like the yellow color of a regular CFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.