Flaky shell

Squirt16

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have a 1 year old Horsefield tortoise and I bath him 4 times a week as he is still pretty young but I've noticed very dry flaky looking patches on his shell could anyone help me understand why they get it and how to prevent and treat it !?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can you post pictures of the area of shell you're worried about?

You're in the process of sorting out your enclosure, I think. The cause could be being kept too dry. Once the humidity is sorted out with your new substrate being damp (not wet) and the correct temperatures - the shell should improve

Squirt16

London
Can you post pictures of the area of shell you're worried about?

You're in the process of sorting out your enclosure, I think. The cause could be being kept too dry. Once the humidity is sorted out with your new substrate being damp (not wet) and the correct temperatures - the shell should improve

It seems to look worse when I bath him I don't know why but I am starting to worry about it it is the scute beginning and his little margin thingys :/ however he is overall very healthy and happy so I'm not overly terrified about it :)

As well as this his humidity gauge says its 67%

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Squirt16

London
Hi

I don't see anything of particular concern.

The USA members are all busy with Thanksgiving today (like Christmas Day but without the tree and presents), hopefully one one of them will pop by later.

@Yvonne G are you around?
Of course it slipped my mind I wish we had a thanks giving :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It seems to look worse when I bath him I don't know why but I am starting to worry about it it is the scute beginning and his little margin thingys :/ however he is overall very healthy and happy so I'm not overly terrified about it :)

As well as this his humidity gauge says its 67%
I also can't see anything to worry about.
Our Testudo species don't need the humidity of some of the tropical species, but yours seems fine, but doesn't need to be any higher .
I'm having turkey right now! :)

Squirt16

London
I also can't see anything to worry about.
Our Testudo species don't need the humidity of some of the tropical species, but yours seems fine, but doesn't need to be any higher .
I'm having turkey right now! :)
Ugh lucky! I have Chinese :) so you think it's just the growth and normal stuff. I think squirt would let me know with his behaviour is something wasn't right because when we first got him we didn't have the uvb and he wasn't active at all !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Ugh lucky! I have Chinese :) so you think it's just the growth and normal stuff. I think squirt would let me know with his behaviour is something wasn't right because when we first got him we didn't have the uvb and he wasn't active at all !
I'm no expert on flaky shells, but he looks pretty good to me. :)
Looks like normal growth with a few specks that don't seem bad, but someone with more knowledge will chime in if there's a problem.

Squirt16

London
I'm no expert on flaky shells, but he looks pretty good to me. :)
Looks like normal growth with a few specks that don't seem bad, but someone with more knowledge will chime in if there's a problem.
Okay thank you so much, enjoy your turkey ;)