First time tortoise owner! Help!

NGTank

just got this tortoise last week and wanted people's opinions on type, age and gender. I have been reading a lot about tortoises lately but there is so much to learn. How do you know if they hibernate?

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd have to see the tail, but I'm guessing male because they are so prevalent. That is a full grown Russian (testudo horsefieldii) tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468438.225561.jpg
No tort has to hibernate, in the wild they do because of food shortages or bad weather but in captivity they don't have these problems !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468566.868846.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468580.966170.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468596.233300.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468608.989827.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487468623.637716.jpg

NGTank

NGTank

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd have to see the tail, but I'm guessing male because they are so prevalent. That is a full grown Russian (testudo horsefieldii) tortoise.
How old is full grown? We were told that it was probably male and about 6 months old. His tail curves to the side and is pointy on the end.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
How old is full grown? We were told that it was probably male and about 6 months old. His tail curves to the side and is pointy on the end.

Welcome to the forum, you've come a great place to learn. You've got a very pretty tortoise there!

It is definitely not six months old! They'll keep on growing a bit but a "full grown" Russian is going to be around four to five years old. Wild caught, imported Russians are usually around that age.

Curved pointy tail sounds like a male but here is a thread that will help you confirm: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....-of-your-Russian-tortoise---with-pics!.87181/

Whoever told you that tortoise was six months old may have given you other incorrect information so be sure to take a good look at the Russian care sheet.

Hibernation will hinge on where you live, whether your tortoise is inside or outside, and what you feel comfortable with. There is no absolutely right or wrong answer. Spring is coming; hopefully your tortoise won't be be feeling the urge to hibernate any time soon! That's good; you'll have a chance to get housing and such figured out.

Our Russian just came out of our first hibernation today! It went great but boy did we stress over it. She was a "surprise" tortoise last year so we had a entire year to get familiar with her care before winter came.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum @NGTank .

A gorgeous Russian tort! GOD bless.

Please read the threads that @Tidgy's Dad mentioned. Ask any question when in need of help.

I've had Oli (my beloved Greek tort) for six years. He only hibernated the first Winter. I presume that it's the relatively high temps indoors: bulbs, central heating system and so on. This confirms what @Grandpa Turtle 144 mentioned.

Any pics of your tort's enclosure?